UH president calls for community support

The potential for UH students is great, but only if the city of Houston participates in the building process, UH President Renu Khator told the Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce at a networking and business development breakfast Wednesday.

Khator urged Houston to get involved in building the future of UH by making suggestions during her first 100 days in office.

"The university has to inspire the people," Khator said. "I urge you today to not accept just ‘good enough.’ It takes your advice and criticism to get to the next level. I’m in my first 100 days, and you can go to uh.edu/100days and give me your ideas. If you’re ready to help, we can give students what they deserve: a great university. I want them to lead the global economy and realize their potential."

Khator emphasized the positive impact of universities on the United States and the global economy.

"Universities are in the business of knowledge: the creation, storing and dissemination of knowledge. Schools are being impacted by the globalization of economy. Our attention to Hispanic businesses is vital to America, not just Hispanics."

Not nearly enough American college students are prepared to compete globally, Khator said.

"Only 10 percent of college graduates are globally prepared. Only 13 percent are fluent in a non-English language," she said. "Houston is an innovative city. Why shouldn’t we be the city to set the model for the rest of the country?"

New members of the HHCC were also introduced, such as 2008 Chairman George Gonzalez.

"I started with the chamber as a volunteer 14 years ago. I was then asked to join the board, and then executive board and then now have the privilege of being chairman," Gonzalez said.

Chamber Chairman for 2007 Edgardo Colon said he believed the new members would accomplish a lot and that he was hopeful for Houston’s Hispanic community.

"Today’s a great day. I think we have†great leadership coming up," Colon said.†"I’m excited about the board members that are staying and the ones that are coming up.†We have a strategic plan not only for the Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, but†for the Hispanic community in Houston as well."