New degree to predict the future

The UH College of Technology will offer a master of technology degree in future studies this fall to help predict social and economic changes.

Future studies consists of two components: forecasting and planning. Forecasting describes what could potentially happen in the future and planning is used to decide what people can do to prepare themselves for the future, future studies founding member and associate professor of strategic foresight Peter Bishop said.

"Change and innovation happen constantly and rapidly," Bishop said in a release. "Organizations and individuals need the skills to consistently and effectively plan and prepare for projected changes and their impact. The goal of this program is to prepare foresight professionals."

Futurists look further into the future than economists or other forecasters, Bishop said. Futurists learn how to do more than forecasting; they learn how to act according to predictions for multiple outcomes.

"Future studies considers a longer time horizon than most forecasters do. Futurists are typically studying the world 10 to 50 years from now in contrast to economists and market researchers who look out one to three years."

Bishop believes the move from UH-Clear Lake to UH’s main campus this fall will help give the degree more prominence, because UH’s main campus is a more recognized and well-known school. Elective courses for undergraduate and graduate students are available for those who are interested in the subject, but might not want to major in it.

Geology 4397 is a class for undergraduate students interested in future studies that will be offered this summer. The class will measure the "ecological footprint" of UH, including consumption of electricity, oil and natural gas.

A technology course for undergraduate students this fall will study the future of energy and the environment. Bishop said the course is similar to a graduate level course offered on the same subject in fall 2007.

"With the fall election in full swing, people will be concerned about the future of the country into and beyond whoever wins in November," Bishop said.

A graduate course on the future of the United States will be offered this fall corresponding with the presidential elections. The goal of this class will be to look at the future of the U.S. population, technology, economy and culture.

"The issues (candidates) are talking about are going to go way beyond the next election," Bishop said.

Classes will also be available online for students living overseas who are interested in pursuing a master of technology degree.

"This program draws from a variety of sources including engineering, life science and biotechnology, physical science, social science, consumer science, communication theory and information technology," William Fitzgibbon, dean of the College of Technology, said in a release. "It also will draw upon the broad spectrum of intellectual expertise in the College of Technology."