Scholarship named in professor’s honor

A $5,000 scholarship set up in honor of UH political science professor Richard Murray by students and faculty seeks to benefit students pursuing a degree in political science.

"Tuition is going up and students have to work two jobs to afford school, so this scholarship can definitely make a difference," Murray said.

Murray was honored Tuesday by former students and UH faculty for his exceptional teaching skills and desire to impact the community at large.

Judy Reiner, director of development in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, said The Richard W. Murray Endowed Scholarship for students in political science raised about $100,000 for students.

"This will provide $5,000 a year for (eligible) political science students," Reiner said.

For more information on eligibility requirements, visit www.uh.edu/cpp or call (713) 743-3970.

The Center for Public Policy and administration in other departments at UH honored Murray for his dedication to students.

UH President Renu Khator commended Murray, who became a political science instructor at UH in 1966 and helped form UH’s Center of Public Policy in 1981.

"Dick Murray is a model faculty, scholar and an engaging person," Khator said. "He’s equally comfortable with students as he is with his colleagues. He said he started with nothing. But the most important thing is the Center of Public Policy’s impact, not its budget. It started at a quarter million dollars, but is now approaching a million dollars."

She said that people like Murray will help UH become an elite university.

"This can become a top-tier, competitive university, but it takes an entire community to create a great university. Community engagement is absolutely critical. With people who have passion, commitment and talent, such as Murray, what else do you need?" Khator said.

State Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston, spoke of his experience as Murray’s student, and how Murray benefited him and other students.

"Not only with me, but with everyone, Murray’s made such a difference with our lives and career paths," Whitmire said. "But he never wanted any credit. He quietly goes about impacting lives. He’s always had an open-door policy and always had time for his students, long after they are no longer his students."

Another former student of Murray’s, Houston lawyer Gene Locke, graduated with a degree in political science from UH in 1969.

"This city has a jewel, a real treasure, and it’s Murray. For at least 40 years he’s been an inspirer, confidante and more," Locke said. "Every city, every university and every friend deserves a Dick Murray. By our contributions in his scholarship, we are helping young, deserving students who need a break financially. It’s wonderful that it’s in his name."

Murray said assistance, both financial and academic, has been a significant theme in his life, especially with his humble beginnings and his academic career at Louisiana State University.

"When you start on a strawberry farm in southeast Louisiana, in my experience, a lot of people help others," Murray said. "I received and needed a scholarship as an undergrad at LSU from 1958 to 1962, so I can appreciate this scholarship because I can relate to it. It’s wonderful that many people have pitched in," he said. "We have raised more money than we projected. This event was successfully executed behind the scenes without my knowledge, and I’m particularly pleased with the focus on scholarship because it helped me."

Murray said his teaching career at the University has been fulfilling.

"I’ve had a wonderful life at UH. It’s a great university to work in, and Houston’s culture is remarkably open, which makes it a great community to work in," he said. "I’m privileged to be at UH, and to be approaching 20,000 students that I’ve taught in my career."