Club Review: Vault strives for versatility

Though located on a Downtown street known for being packed with nightclubs, the fact that The Vault isn’t one of those dime-a-dozen clubs is apparent after one spends time there.

The downstairs bar area has several couches along the wall, chairs and seats in the middle of the room and a stage with a full set of instruments, one of the most noticeable indicators that it’s not typical club. There are more seats upstairs.

General Manager Deatree Durham said The Vault strives to please patrons in multiple ways.

"We are a club/bar/lounge. This is unique, and we made it this way because we don’t have to do what everyone else is doing," she said. "Friday and Saturday night are our club mode. The lounge has a relaxed vibe, and nights during the week, like Thursday, are the times to experience it."

Simply Smooth Thursdays feature a live band, a DJ playing neo-soul and classic hip-hop, and even an open mic where anyone is free to perform live material. Vault staff member Derrick White, who created the concept, said it was much needed.

"As an alternative to the usual nightlife experience, it’s the new twist to Main Street, and something that the 9-to-5 crowd and the stay-at-home moms deserve to enjoy," White said.

Thursday’s musicians include The Two and Only and Fort’eacute; ‘ The Executioners, and one of the singers, Ryan Knight, said the music is inspired by vintage artists such as Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, with the goal is to "bring real music back."

On Saturday nights, Urban Nites Entertainment hosts The Best of Both Worlds Saturday. Urban Nites promoter Dru Hassen explained the duality of the title.

"We bring a different element to the Houston night life: a mixture of a younger, barely 21 crowd, and people who are well into their late ’20s and early ’30s. And it’s a combination of Houston’s slow tempo style mixed with the unique vibe of New Orleans," Hassen said.

Thursday’s and Sunday’s events have a strict dress code and are 21 and up.

Durham, a San Diego native who said she remembers "12 people" coming into The Vault when it first opened, believes the venue’s future is exciting.

"Our vision is to connect with Midtown. For example, a new House of Blues that will close at midnight will soon be built nearby, and their patrons can walk a few minutes to The Vault afterward to continue enjoying their night."

The Vault also books parties and features a diverse a crowd, Durham said.