TV show to boost interest in Bauer

The Bauer College of Business has developed a different approach to marketing UH through informative videos, Bauer communications manager Jessica Robertson said.

The videos are hosted by marketing and finance senior Victoria Guerrero, the protagonist of "That Bauer Girl," who delivers news and information to students in an exciting, innovative way, Robertson said.

As an intern in the college’s communications office, Guerrero has worked as a model for Bauer ads and helped shape the idea of a student video project, Robertson said. Guerrero portrays "That Bauer Girl," featuring different students interacting with her, but telling their stories is the main goal of the project.

"Bauer offers so much for students, in terms of workshops, special programs, organizations and other things that extend beyond the classroom, and too often, those opportunities don’t reach enough students because of a lack of marketing or the wrong kind of marketing," Robertson said. "We think that we’ve found a medium to advertise these events and help students to see exactly what they are."

For undergraduate students, this video project will serve as a guide to activities offered at Bauer such as getting help from advisors, selecting classes or working on a r’eacute;sum’eacute; with a career counselor, Guerrero said.

"I think after (students) see the different episodes, many of them are either learning about the activity for the first time or have a different opinion about it," Guerrero said. "They get to see the great opportunities that come with getting involved with Bauer; that is, becoming a student leader, networking, building their resume and meeting many different people."

So far, there are only three episodes of "That Bauer Girl," in which Guerrero visits the Spring Career Fair held twice a year by Rockwell Career Center, another where she attends Frontier Fiesta and another where she visits Registration Fiesta, a registration carnival hosted by the Undergraduate Business Programs Office at Bauer College.

Corporate communications junior Gus Forward, a producer of the Student Video Network, is in charge of production on the project along with media production junior Aaron Rodriguez and Robertson.

"Working on†’TBG’ has†truly been a rewarding experience†for me†and†everyone else at SVN and Bauer attached to the project.†For†Aaron and I, working at Bauer has helped us†cultivate our skills and creativity to produce something†really special for both Bauer, SVN,†but also†the†University of Houston," Forward said.

A working environment where students, faculty and staff prepare the next episode shows the dedication needed to enhance both Bauer and the University.

"We’re trying to impress upon students that there is more to being a Cougar than coming to campus for class – there’s a whole world of opportunity here if you know what to look for, and we want ‘That Bauer Girl’ to be able to show those opportunities to our students," Robertson said.

For more information visit www.bauer.uh.edu/media/bpvideo.