Guest Commentary: University has room to boast

UH President Renu Khator has asked students, alumni, faculty, staff and community members to participate in her 100 Days Survey to seek innovative ideas to improve our university.

The survey encourages everyone to share his or her ideas about how we can strengthen UH as a premier research institution.

The reality is, UH is more than just a research institution and should take pride in that by promoting the success of UH’s blend of academic, professional and creative studies.

Several programs at UH have brought recognition to the University and paved a path from the classroom to the professional world for its students. UH’s Creative Writing Program was rated second in the nation by U.S. News and World Report in its first annual ranking of writing programs in 1997, because of its reputation, scholarship, curriculum and quality of faculty and students. In 2007 The Atlantic’s listed UH as one of the top five universities offering Ph.D. programs in Creative Writing.

Dozens of world-class opera singers got their early professional training and experience at the Houston Opera Studio, which from its inception in 1977 until 1992 had a partnership with the Moores School of Music.

In 2003 and 2006, under the direction of Blake Wilkins, the school’s percussion ensemble won two consecutive appearances at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention, making it the second time in PASIC history that a school has won twice consecutively.

The School of Communication’s faculty and staff are made up of people who have had many years of professional experience in fields such as print journalism, broadcasting and media production.

The Daily Cougar has won several awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association and Society of Professional Journalists. The faculty has connections with in and out-of-state publications, as well as broadcasting and media production fields for internships and entry-level jobs for their students. Similar stories are told about the schools of theater and art.

As UH works to improve its research, we should remember that its programs in professional and creative studies are also important for the students and city.

Sivilay, a communication senior, can be reached via [email protected]