Football fans get chance at field time

Some Cougar football fans will soon find out what practice with head coach Kevin Sumlin feels like.

At Cougar Football 101, an event presented by State Farm, Sumlin and other UH coaching staff will teach female football fans about various aspects of football. Participants will also have the chance to practice what they’ve learned on the field by taking part in drills with UH coaches and football players.

"It’s just an event that’s going to help educate the female football fans at the University of Houston and allow them to get to know our coaching staff better, and have a little fun at the same time," said Lee De Leon, the marketing director of UH Athletics Department.

Sumlin agreed that the event is a good opportunity for fans to become more informed about the sport.

"For whatever reason, I think a lot of people aren’t as knowledgeable about football as they probably want to be. It’d probably be good to have one for guys, too, because a lot of guys think they know more about football than they know," Sumlin said.

The event will be divided into three phases. The first is a "classroom phase" where participants will learn about the basics, such as the vocabulary used in football.

"I’ll talk a little bit and let the coordinators talk… and show some tape," Sumlin said.

The second phase will include tours of the facilities, including the medical trainer’s room. Participants will tape an ankle, put on equipment and try on a uniform, things football players do before each game.

The third phase will be on-field instruction. Coaches and UH football players will facilitate practicing "pass catching" and "some football movement drills." The event will end with a field-goal-kicking contest.

"It’s very hands on," De Leon said.

Sumlin said the event will be beneficial to all fans, no matter how much or how little they know about football.

"There’ll be people in there with all kinds of knowledge, people who won’t know much of anything and probably some women in there who will know as much as the coaches do. We’re not going to assume anything, but I think people will get something out of it."

Sumlin has hosted events similar to this at other schools he has coached and said they increase exposure of the program to fan bases that may not normally be reached.

"Any time you can get any fans to the game or create some interest in your sport, I think its good," Sumlin said. "I think it’s just an opportunity to increase our fan base and create knowledgeable fans.

"It’s no different to me than what we try to do with the kids and the autograph signings after the spring game or being in the community. The more fans the better."

Although 50 tickets to the event have already been sold, fans can still purchase tickets for $40 by visiting the UH athletics Web site at www.uhcougars.com. The event begins at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday at the Athletics/Alumni Center, and State Farm plans to hold it annually.