Cougars help fans tackle drills

It’s normal to walk into the Athletic/Alumni Center and see the UH football players practicing drills on the field. It isn’t everyday, though, that they’re teaching those drills to Cougar football fans.

On June 18, fans spent the evening listening to head coach Kevin Sumlin explain plays and watching him throw passes with UH football players at the first Cougar Football 101 for Women.

"It was exposure to what really goes on," head coach Kevin Sumlin said. "A lot of people think you go out there and guys just run into each other, and I think people learned a little bit more than that."

Participants had the chance to observe all the aspects of the football program. They took tours of the sports medicine offices and locker rooms, tried on protective equipment, jerseys and helmets and ran practice drills with the football staff.

Accounting sophomore Bethany Miles said she was able to develop her football skills, particularly catching, from the on-field training.

"If the ball’s going to come low, come with your palms up, and you form a diamond (with your fingers) and you catch it in the air," she said.

Miles said she enjoyed working with the players and coaches, who were available for questions and instruction.

"We learned some snaps with the QBs, and we also learned some drills with the tight ends,"Miles said.

Each of the night’s events – from safety measures such as taping an ankle to warming up in the weight room before practice to actually running the drills – was similar to what players do on a daily basis.

"We do a lot of the same drills we just showed them," senior quarterback Blake Joseph said.

Joseph said he was impressed by the ability of the fans.

"I saw some girls with some good footwork. The women did a great job," he said.

The positive feedback from both the participants and the players convinced Sumlin that the event can be a continued success in the future.

"As time goes on, I think it will get even better," Sumlin said.

Senior defensive back Kenneth Fontenette is already looking forward to the next one.

"I’ve never heard of this before, but it’s a lot of fun," he said. "I have to invite my sister next time."