Take advantage of your right to vote

As we officially begin the political offerings of an election year, we are entertained with a color show of red and blue, a song of debate from the elephant and donkey and empty promises served on a silver platter. What they forget to give us is a big napkin to wipe the sweat of confusion from our brow.

To vote or not to vote? Will my vote matter? These are just a couple of questions raised by the common person. But the real question is: Is it worth the effort? The answer could encompass more than the basic idea of it.

Not everyone of voting age is politically informed. Some could care less. But for many it is too time consuming to pick through each candidate’s point of view to see if it matches his or her own ideals. Others simply don’t take part in an election because they deem both candidates unsuitable. When eligible people choose not to cast their vote, it has the potential to impact the count in the end. Choosing to vote is a major ordeal, and we all should do it. Our futures and our country depend on it.

The right to vote is a privilege for all U.S. citizens, and one that was fought for by blacks and women. It is our civil right and our civil duty to participate in the election process. It is difficult to listen when someone complains about the president and the way he has chosen to run the country and yet that same person boasts about not voting. One cannot complain if he or she couldn’t even choose one person for whom to vote. If both offerings are not perfect for an individual, he or she should at least choose the lesser of the two evils.

There are plenty of people living in our area that can’t vote because of their citizenship status. Some students at our campus, undergraduate and graduate students alike, are not only highly educated and up-to-date with the political spectrum, but can’t vote. And they actually want to.

This year’s race between Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain is touted as an exciting one, but then again, most presidential elections are. We are offered one, said to have the status of a rock star and another whom is called a "good ole’ boy." Both have been on a number of ballot-counting roller coasters in each state. Imagine what the preliminary outcome could have been if every eligible person had cast their early vote, and then did it again Nov. 4. Even though the U.S. does not operate on a popular vote method, the number of votes cast for a particular candidate affects the electoral vote, and therefore, every citizen that casts a ballot is helping choose the next president.

It matters not for whom you vote, but it does matter that you make your choice known come election time. Each candidate has promises he claims to keep, and if his words ring true to you, then get out there and do your best to get him into office.

This presidential election, and all the ones to come in the future, needs the participation of every registered voter. Enjoy the offerings of the election year--watch, listen and learn. If you are not already registered, do it and take advantage of your right.

MousaviDin, a communication senior, can be reached via [email protected]