Board to review proposed degrees

The UH System Board of Regents will consider the approval of five new degree plans Tuesday.

The regents will weigh in on educational incentives to be achieved from adding a bachelor of science in petroleum engineering and a master of science in human nutrition to degree options available for students at the University of Houston.

The addition of a master of science in nursing education for UH-Victoria, bachelor of business administration degree in insurance and risk management for UH-Downtown and a master of arts degree in behavior analysis for UH-Clear Lake will also be considered by the board.

If approved, the bachelor of science in petroleum engineering program will be offered as early as this fall, making UH one of five universities in Texas to offer the degree program.

The approved degree programs will then be sent to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for consideration before implementation in fall.

In addition, regents will also vote on a $38 million construction project on the north end zone at John O’Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium. The renovations will offer patrons a three-story end-zone facility with more than 131,00 square feet and more than 5,000 available seats.

The meeting, initially slated for August 5, was rescheduled because of tropical storm Edouard’s possible threat to the Houston area and the school’s subsequent closure.