Children too young for r’eacute;sum’eacute;s

UH prides itself on the diversity of its campus, and rightly so. From the beautiful colors of cultural clothing, to the numerous ethnic, religious and student groups to join, our campus is an eclectic one. Within this diverse environment are very diverse people, including students attending class full-time while holding two jobs, married students and parents returning to school to better themselves and the lives of their children.

These people go to class and must leave immediately afterward, with no time to explore the offerings before them. How is it our students manage to multi-task their way into a life that holds more of the same?

U.S. universities and employers look highly on those who can handle multiple tasks at once. Children as young as 12 or 13 begin focusing on volunteer work while participating in extracurricular activities – perhaps a fine art and a sport or two. Top it off with homework, family time, a part-time job and friends and you have the recipe for an exhausted (and cranky) teenager.

But, unfortunately, it doesn’t stop there. This behavior carries over to college years and beyond. Students constantly strive to better their r’eacute;sum’eacute;s for whatever career their futures hold. As a result, many burn out before they get started.

UH offers entertainment outlets such as bowling, video games, billiards, television and events such as Frontier Fiesta, but when it comes down to it, these activities are only another thing students must wedge into their schedule.

Leisure time has become a thing of the past and socialization now requires scheduling. It is sad that we have been reduced to this way of life. Everyone is working constantly to better his or her life, r’eacute;sum’eacute; or chance at a job, and as one gets older, scheduling quickly becomes the only way of living.

Juggling used to be a term for circus folk, but now it is now daily routine for children and adults alike. People who can take on the most are seen with awe and those who prefer to keep things simple are seen as either not responsible enough for multi-tasking or too lazy to attempt it.

The slower, single-task person should be viewed as more thorough in the one task they choose. Jugglers take on so much there is a higher chance of error, and though they may accomplish more in the end, time must be made for corrections.

If employers and universities focused on academics rather than the combination of academics, extracurricular activities and volunteerism, students would be able to slow down and concentrate on the task at hand rather than rushing through to get to the next thing. Students are so busy racking up volunteer hours while completing class work and working any job they may hold, when they do squeeze in leisure time they risk their grades.

The never-ending cycle will not cease unless employers stop looking for the best jugglers and instead look for those who do one job very well. Universities would find more academically-focused incoming freshmen if they required fewer other requirements when considering whether to accept a student. Children and adults should volunteer or join a cause because it is something they believe in and have time for, not because it will look good on their r’eacute;sum’eacute;s.

The pressure to succeed is astronomical, but this kind of pressure should not be a part of a child’s life when young – better leave it for when they are mature and better able to handle it.

MousaviDin, a communication senior, can be reached via [email protected]