UH trucks go green

UH Plant Operations added three electric trucks to its fleet, an investment Dave Irvin, associate vice president of Plant Operations, said is economically and environmentally beneficial.

The trucks produce no tailpipe emissions and will be added to the unit of vehicles that provide transportation for Plant Operations workers. UH has purchased alternative fuel and electric-based vehicles in the past, but these are the first fully electric trucks to be implemented on campus.

"Plant Operations has been purchasing alternative-fuel vehicles for a number of years and are excited to add larger, more utilitarian vehicles to our electric fleet," Irvin said. "Our team is excited about ‘going green,’ and these trucks seem to be not only green, but functional."

Because Plant Operations utilizes gas-fueled trucks that are 20 to 30 years old, Irvin said the need to replace parts of their existing fleet helped spur its decision. But because of effectiveness and durability concerns, UH had yet to purchase a fully electric truck until earlier this month.

Plant Operations discovered the truck it would come to use after Fleet Director Neal Smith attended a conference showcasing the vehicle’s manufacturer, California-based Miles Electric Vehicles. Upon discovering the vehicles could withstand the maintenance requirements needed of its fleet, Plant Operations purchased three of the entirely gas-free trucks.

The trucks are classified as "low-speed vehicles" and typically have a maximum capable speed of around 25 miles per hour. The vehicles will also be able to maneuver around campus more easily than the gas-fueled vehicles, Irvin said.

Monetarily, the trucks are an investment that UH expects to quickly recoup, Irvin said. Each vehicle has a baseline price of approximately $19,000, slightly more than the traditional compact pick-up truck, and each truck costs less than $5 a day to charge.

"These vehicles cost only slightly more than traditional gas-fueled trucks, so payback should be within 4 to 5 years," Irvin said. "Considering we keep our trucks 25-plus years it is an economical alternative."

Depending on the performance of the electric trucks, ease of repair and feedback from maintenance employees over the next year, Plant Operations will evaluate its decision to incorporate more electric vehicles in its fleet.

Irvin emphasized Plant Operation’s role in past sustainability efforts, as well as its plans to increase "green" initiatives in other areas.

"Plant Operations has long lead in sustainability and green initiatives. We started such initiatives in the early ’90s and have been a leader in Texas, although we have done a poor job of letting everyone know," Irvin said.

Plant Operations will work to maximize its efforts by using environmentally conscious custodial and grounds supplies and placing more functions and reports online to save paper and recycling lab chemicals.

"Plant Operations has a large number of green initiatives under way, including expanding recycling, LEED construction, energy conservation and a more efficient ‘green’ Central Utilities Plant," Irvin said.

Irvin also said UH will host a campuswide sustainability event so students can view and ride in the electric trucks.

For more information, call (713) 743-8027 or visit the Plant Operations Web site at www.uh.edu/plantops/.