Blood donors needed after hurricane

Between classes today, students can help the UH Wellness Center in its effort to replenish Houston’s blood banks in what an official said is a great time of need.

Along with Methodist Hospital and the NAACP, UH Chapter, the center will host a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in the University Center, Cougar Den.

Gail Hudson-Gillan, Director for Learning at Learning and Assessment Services, said during the weeks after Hurricane Ike it’s essential to restore the amount of blood in Houston-area banks.

"It’s important to have a strong blood supply. Any time there’s a disaster, you start depleting your resources and we have to replenish that supply," Hudson-Gillan said.

She said in light of the hurricane, more people are in the mood to contribute to the community in any way they can.

"This is also a time when people want to help out other people, and we’re giving students the opportunity to give back in a big way," Hudson-Gillian said.

According to the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Web site, donors can help save up to three lives by giving one pint of blood.

Students from Cougar Peer Educators and the UH NAACP will be onsite educating donors on the benefits and requirements of giving blood.

For more information, call (713) 743-5461.