RUTH RECOMMENDS: Indulge in quirky rhythms

Monday night concertgoers will find truly unique music easier to come by as Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s, David Vandervelde and Judgement Day perform sets starting at 8 p.m. at The Mink, 3718 Main St.

Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s take the odds and ends of an interesting variety of sounds and work them into unique patchwork pieces that unravel to shine light on themes of bitterness and loss.

The octet engages orchestral sounds with flares of folk and indie-intertwining nostalgic tunes that reach into the past and catchy rhythms that move the band’s uplifting songs forward.

Erik Kang’s electric violin work blends with lead vocalist and guitarist Richard Edward’s heartfelt vocals and lead acoustic rhythms, while Casey Tennis’ subtle percussion and Emily Watkins’ lightly placed piano lines to give concertgoers songs that are just as appealing to see performed live as they are to hear.

Jesse Lee offers a somber cello solo in the band’s intricate yet inviting arrangement "Skeleton Key." Kang provides lap steel and Hubert Glover offers the band’s resonating trumpet solos.

The group, which hails from Indianapolis, made its start in 2005. Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s latest release Not Animal is available for purchase on iTunes.

David Vandervelde, a solo acoustic act from Nashville, Tenn. and California-based classical-meets-black-metal trio Judgement Day will perform opening sets starting at 8 p.m.

Doors open at 7 p.m. Cover is $10. Tickets are also available online at http://hesaidshesaidpresents.indietickets.com/tickets/customer/home.php.

For more information, call (713) 522-9985 or visit www.themink.org.