Amnesty bill meets approval

After a vigorous debate Wednesday lasting nearly 20 minutes, the Student Government Association Senate passed the UH Good Samaritan Bill with only one dissenting vote.

SGA President Sam Dike and various senators questioned aspects of the bill, but there was a happy ending for At-Large Sen. Michael Blunk, who authored it.

"This policy is one of the best ways to ensure student safety," Blunk said. "This is changing the way the assistant dean of students deals with (drug-related) situations."

At Large Sen. Laura Bobrick cast the only dissenting vote.

The bill will allow students who are involved in dangerous situations with alcohol or drugs to avoid harsh punishments from the Dean of Students Office.

The legislation requires students who call with a problem to follow discipline procedures outlined in the Student Handbook, meet with the assistant dean of students within three days and attend any treatment or counseling that the Dean of Students Office advises.

Dike said he was worried about the bill giving too much protection to organizations.

"This legislation limits the capabilities of the University to protect their students," Dike said.

Dike also expressed concern about the wording of the bill in respect to organizations. He said there might be circumstances in which groups take advantage of the bill.

"Everyone (at UH) has a right to due process," Dike said. "It seems the way (Blunk is) arguing this is that once (an organization) is charged their charter is revoked."

College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Sen. and Speaker Pro Tem Kelly Evans expressed support for the bill, and said the legal system will take care of punishments dealing with drug or alcohol-related emergencies.

"There have been a number of colleges that have implemented this policy and they have only seen positive results," Blunk said. "More students are seeking treatment and getting help. The main purpose is to ensure the safety of students."

The Senate also approved the Student Academic Bill of Rights at Wednesday night’s meeting.

The bill, authored by 13 Senate members, protects students from academic discrimination and gives them a fair appeals process for when they feel UH’s academic policies are violated.

"Students sometimes lack the guidance to help them through times of trouble," Dike said. "This legislation sets the foundation for any additional rights that students may gain in the future."The Student Academic Bill of Rights includes an amendment clause, which would allow the SGA senate to change aspects of the document as needed.

"We’re hoping that this bill will ensure that professors know about students’ rights," Graduate At-Large Sen. Van Hua said.

The Senate also passed legislation to establish an External Affairs Committee, which will allow students to lobby for improvements within student services. The committee will consist of students, administration, staff and faculty.

The bill sets up a forum for the University to tackle many issues, such as financial aid, parking spaces and student safety. By law only students can lobby, but faculty members will guide students and can also offer input so that all parties receive enhancements.

"What’s lobbied will be voted on by students, staff and faculty," said Evans, who authored the bill. "We want to unify the various campus entities. This establishes a place for students to go when they need to lobby for something."

The next SGA senate meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 5 in the University Center’s Mediterranean Room.