Local art on display

Once a year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, volunteers from Houston’s thriving art community come together and organize ARTCRAWL Houston, a free exposition of local artwork, buildings, restaurants and the neighborhoods that surround it all.

Originally conceived in 1993 by artists who had moved into the downtown warehouse district, ARTCRAWL is a free event all about getting people involved in the art community.

In their effort to keep the event feeling like a close-knit, down-to-earth gathering, ARTCRAWL organizers collaborate with local businesses and vendors for space and services, spending as little as possible, hosting the whole thing without a major corporation’s sponsorship.

This year’s ARTCRAWL will be held mainly in three warehouse-studios – 1215 Commerce, Mother Dog Studios and Houston Foundry – as well as various artists’ actual houses or apartments. This not only saves money, but adds to the atmosphere and allows attendees to see the works in their natural surroundings, away from the almost clinical cleanliness of a museum.

Though there is usually shuttle service from point to point around the area, this year attendees are encouraged to walk or bike their way around instead.

More than 150 artists are being featured for this event, many of them displaying their works in the warehouse-studios, making it easy to meet them all and see their work.

Each artist has his or her preferred discipline, and none are left out. Photography and painting feature heavily, but drawings and graphic design also make strong showings. Sculpture and Web design make appearances too, so make sure not to miss anything.

Also of note, Last Concert Caf’eacute; will be right in the thick of things, selling tasty Mexican food to hungry ARTCRAWLers.

The area’s history is also of note, with several old buildings having been erected in the early 20th century by prominent Houston businesses of the day and a former Confederate hospital turned into loft apartments.

ARTCRAWL is an event not to be missed for any reason and should draw even the most ardent soccer moms to the area for a little urban pizzazz.