MFAH series to screen Khator’s favorite film

The Museum of Fine Arts Houston regularly hosts the film series Movies Houstonians Love. At 7 p.m. Jan. 26, the MFAH will screen Dr. Renu Khator’s favorite film Mr. and Mrs. Iyer.

Screened in Hindi with English subtitles, the dramatic film Mr. and Mrs. Iyer tells of an encounter between traditional Tamil Brahmin Meenakshi Iyer, (Konkona Sensharma) and westernized Bengali Muslim Raja Chowdhury (Rahul Bose) on a bus trip to Calcutta. When Hindu extremists stop the bus, Meenakshi vouches for Raja as her husband. Later stranded together, the two are forced to continue the act and a friendship eventually develops.

Released in 2002, Mr. and Mrs. lyer won several national and international awards.

Now in its fourth consecutive year, the Movies Houstonians Love series showcases favorite films of notable Houstonians. In the past, Houstonians such as film director Richard Linklater, renowned heart surgeon Dr. Richard Cooley, Houston Ballet’s Lauren Anderson and even former first lady Barbara Bush have been selected to screen their favorite films.

MFAH Director Dr. Peter C. Marzio will introduce Dr. Renu Khator at the screening. The purpose of each screening in the film series is to provide a glimpse into the personality of notable Houstonians, as well as to bring all Houstonians together and provide the opportunity to view a new film.

The next film to be screened will be Kingdom of God, the favorite film of Jim Hachett, CEO of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation. It is scheduled to run at 7 p.m. Feb. 23.

All screenings in the Movies Houstonians Love series are shown in the Brown Auditorium at the MFAH. Tickets are $7 and are available to order online at www.mfah.org or at the box office, located within the MFAH.