Report card: Obama off to good start; students OK

Obama order to close Gitmo: A-

While the question of what to do with Guantanamo Bay is detainees remains, Obama’s first executive order to close the camp within a year sets a high precedent for the president’s fledgling term.

Closing the camp is, without a doubt, the right thing to do. Even former President Bush expressed desire in the past for Guantanamo Bay to close, but he left the responsibility to his successor. Some critics argue that what is torture remains undefined, and others fear that this action may make the U.S. vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

While there may never be a best way to close Guantanamo Bay, there isn’t a wrong way to do it. Torture is illegal, according to the U.N.’s Geneva Conventions, and if the U.S. is to remain a leading nation, it must adhere to international law.

TDC student involvement: C

This semester, The Daily Cougar newsroom is filled with an energetic new staff. UH students have stepped up to the plate to fill the roles of designers, editors and writers. But there are other ways UH students can help contribute to making the newspaper the best it can be.

Do you have an opinion that you don’t see reflected in the Opinion section? The Daily Cougar wants to print it. Write a Letter to the Editor, or better yet, apply to be an Opinion writer. Do you know of a human interest story you’d like to share? Well, we’ve got a place for it in the returning Features section.

If you are part of a student organization, visit The Daily Cougar newsroom to fill out a Campus Calendar form so we can inform other students about your activities – or perhaps even of your existence. If you don’t have time to stop by, our new Web site has simplified the process of getting your event made known. The direct Web address to the online Campus Calendar form is https://thedailycougar.com/campus_beat/send_a_calendar_item.

Here at The Daily Cougar, it is our responsibility and pleasure to bring you relevant and accurate University news; however, citizen journalists are essential to the process.