Fighting Words: 2009 recruiting class

Recruits a harbinger of a great season in 2009

The UH football team for is looking great for 2009.’ In 2008, the Cougars were 8-5 and got a great win in the Armed Forces Bowl.’ This season, they can only get better.’

The ball has to be moved down field more and I feel 2009 prospect A.J. Dugat can help the Cougars get to the red zone. Dugat gained 1,755 yards and had 28 touchdowns for Dayton last season, gaining All-State status.’

The offensive and defensive lines have many new comers in the picture along with some of the old.’ It makes the combination of players a great mixture.’

The main question is, do these new guys have the heart to play? The players have to have their mind’s set and the fans need to be in the seats. There is no money on the table for these guys. Their only job is to win. I really think they can have a better record than last year.’

Now, let me pass the torch to the people who said the Cardinals would win the Super Bowl and the Judge who was too scared to make a prediction.

– Mario Trinidad

Solid class fills some gaps, leaves others open

Mario, once again, you failed to answer the question regarding how you would grade the recruiting class. You mention one sentence about A.J. Dugat and everything else sounds like garbage.

I would rate the recruiting class as a B minus because it’s balanced, led by junior college transfer offensive lineman Roy Watts, who should start next season. Dugat will also be a game-changer and fit in nicely on a high-powered Cougars offense led by quarterback Case Keenum.

Offensive linemen Ty Cloud and Jarve Dean will also fight for starting positions. The Cougars brought in a solid 25 recruits who will blend nicely with a team that’s coming its first bowl game last season since 1980.

My key player in the draft class will be Tyler Chambers. The tight end will look to follow in the footsteps of star tight end Mark Hafner, who was one of Keenum’s favorite targets last season. The majority of the Cougars offense will be back next season and will, yet again, be exciting to watch.’

– KeithCordero Jr.

2009 class should leave Cougars fans filled with hope

The possibilities are endless with this recruiting class. Just think, an ‘Anthony Alridge’ type player in A.J. Dugat lining up with an already potent offensive arsenal that is ranked as one of the nation’s best.

A highly touted running back, Charles Sims, will rotate snaps with Bryce Beall and the insertion of beastly junior college transfers 6’6 300-pound Roy Watts and 6’2 320-pound Jarve Dean to the offensive line will patch holes left from graduating seniors Sebastian Vollmer and Michael Bloesch.

But defense wins championships and head coach Kevin Sumlin gets my rating of a B for what he lured to campus. ‘ ‘ ‘

Speedy safety Jacky Candy and shut down cornerback Devin Mays, both junior college transfers, can cover ground and bring experience after the departure of Kenneth Fontennette and Quinte Williams.’

Linebackers George Bamfo, Philip Steward and Steven Robertson are fast and physical and should work their way into the rotation. Can the season get here any sooner?

– Jesse Livingston

Judge Dredd may have recruited a new rival

Mario, it takes some serious grapefruits to call out Judge Dredd in a game of Fighting Words. Throughout the four-year history of this forum only two writers have ever attempted such a feat ‘- Mark Suarez and Fabian Sifuentes.

Unfortunately, those dudes are no longer with us but Judge Dredd hopes this can be the start of another entertaining rivalry. Here’s a little advice though.

When you get over your little man-crush on A.J. Dugat, take a look at past issues of Fighting Words. We don’t use sissy terms like ‘have the heart to play’ in this forum.’ This is a forum for grown men – grown men without man-crushes on high school football players from Dayton. Man up and bring your A-game next time.

Now to business, Jesse was right on in his argument. The Cougars have enough offensive playmakers to form a small army. Sumlin needed to bring in defensive talent, and he got on the right track by signing Bamfo and Mays.’

For some reason, as Keith pointed out, Mario didn’t actually rate the Cougars’ recruiting class.

– JudgeDredd

Verdict: Keith wins. Judge Dredd doesn’t get scared.