Sherman has strong support

Casey and Diane Sherman traveled from their hometown of Waller, Texas to California to watch their daughter start in her first game as a Division I softball player.

Although Katy Beth Sherman played in 22 games for the Cougars last year, the sophomore outfielder’s first start came in the Cathedral City Kickoff tournament in Cathedral City, Calif. last week, and her parents weren’t going to miss it.

This is just the most recent example of what they have done to support Sherman, no matter what she’s doing.

‘I have the most amazing parents,’ Sherman said.

Sherman has been an athlete her whole life. At the age of five, she started competing in rodeo events such as barrel racing and bovine roping.

‘My neighbors actually have a lot of land and ‘hellip; I started just by going over there and riding a few of their horses,’ Sherman said. ‘I did really good (in competition). I won a bunch of buckles and I was the true cowgirl. I loved it.’

Sherman also competed in gymnastics and played softball, but gave up rodeo by the time she started middle school because it was ‘too time-consuming.’ She did, however, join the school’s volleyball and basketball teams while still playing tournament softball.

Sherman decided to concentrate on volleyball and softball when she reached Waller High School. She made the varsity volleyball team as a sophomore and junior, but ultimately chose to focus on softball.

Sherman played on the varsity team for four years and was named the district’s Offensive MVP in 2006. She was also selected for First Team All-District as an infielder in 2007.

‘I just loved it so much,’ she said. ‘The game is so amazing and it’s always time-consuming and cost my parents money, but it was the one sport I knew I wanted to play in college. That was my goal, to play Division I college softball. I just wanted to focus on that.’

Sherman said her parents have been there to offer encouragement and guidance every step of the way.

‘My parents were just really supportive and thought that as long as I was being responsible with all the activities I was doing and doing well with them, they didn’t mind driving me to all these places and helping me with all the goals I have,’ she said.

In her freshman year, Sherman helped Houston to a 54-11 (21-2 Conference USA) record and a C-USA Championship. The Cougars also made the program’s first Super Regional appearance, but Houston’s loss to Louisiana-Lafayette in the tournament ended its dream of reaching the College World Series.

‘It was a definite journey,’ Sherman said. ‘It was something that I didn’t expect to begin with. I think now it’s completely expected, but as a freshman coming in I was just new to the program, kind of just along for the ride, contributing to the program any way I could.’

This year, the Cougars were ranked No. 13 in the USA Today preseason poll and want to make it further into the postseason than last year.

‘I can see now we are able to meet those expectations,’ Sherman said. ‘It made me open my eyes last year. I feel that every bit of the journey last year has prepared me for this year.

‘Our goal is to get to the (College) World Series. We kind of have a little theme this year – it’s ‘One.’ Last year we were one game away, one pitch away, one decision away. And this year we’re going to get there as one team.’

As for Sherman, her team will include two fans in the stands – always watching, always cheering.