What to buy a lover?

Diedre Mouton

She Said: Don’t wait until Valentine’s Day to spoil your honey with gifts

Valentine’s Day is almost here and love is in the air. With red, white and pink covering every inch of the universe and assorted chocolate candies and teddy bears galore, it’s pretty hard to ignore Cupid’s presence.

But what does Valentine’s Day mean to you? Is it a holiday you consider to be one of the highlights of your year, or is it absolutely annoying?

Well, your answer to the questions could vary depending on where you are in this particular stage of your life.

If you happen to be in a romantic rapport, this holiday is probably going to be an engaging event for you. At this point in your relationship you are probably in love or in a strong like. Your particular person gives you butterflies and the coming weekend is almost certainly going to be memorable.

This is a time when memories are made and bonds grow closer between couples. Whether good or bad, these moments are going to be cherished forever.

On the other hand, being single during Valentine’s Day can be a disappointment. While your girlfriends are relishing in gifts and elegant dinners, you are alone watching others enjoy the festivities. To the single gal, Valentine’s Day usually consists of couples flaunting their love and affection for the whole world to see. In a sense it makes you realize the whole notion of Valentine’s Day is forced and over-commercialized.

Rather than obliging to a set date of Feb. 14, I would be more impressed if men just gave flowers and a card on any random day. Or on a day when they knew their significant other was having a hard time.

Although the idea behind Valentine’s Day is thoughtful and charming, it puts an immense amount of pressure on people, especially men, to buy lavish things. Perhaps they should do that on a daily basis. Love is a 365-day thing, not an annual extravaganza on Feb. 14.

For all the single ladies whose partner, for whatever reason, did not ‘put a ring on it’ or make the commitment you hoped for, this should be the time we look toward each other for real love and camaraderie. Hanging with your best girls, sipping martinis and having a blast is a perfect option on Feb. 14. If the close bond of sisterhood can get you through messy break-ups and other disasters, it can definitely get us through the worst holiday for singles.

Dierdre Mouton is an English junior and may be reached at [email protected].

Mathew Keever

He Said: You can spend too much, but you can’t spend too much time

I used to think Valentine’s Day a waste of time and money. To a certain extent, I still do.
Americans are projected to spend almost $15 billion this weekend on gifts, $1 million of which will solely be on candy, according to a MSN report.

Although this is a decrease from the expected $17 billion projected total in a survey conducted in January, it’s still a lot of money. These people aren’t simply doing their part to stimulate the economy.

Instead, they are buying into a ‘Hallmark holiday,’ which jewelry stores, boutiques and retailers across America love and rely on almost as much as Christmas.

That being said, this Valentine’s I have planned a picnic in the park, bought flowers, a teddy-bear, a cute card and the infamous blue box – from Tiffany’s, of course.

I probably come across as a whipped hypocrite, but as disgustingly cute as it may be, this Saturday is actually my anniversary.

The truth of the matter is that although I am probably guilty of buying too much, saving too little and playing into the typecast of a boyfriend who is trying too hard, all these items are only details.

The genuinely special part of Saturday will not cost a penny. The park will be free and we will spend quality time together, something we have both want. Most of the things I’ve done for her to show I care didn’t come with receipts.

That is what Valentine’s Day should be about. Celebrating someone is important, but money should not be the bedrock of how we go about it.

Flowers and chocolates are nice, but making your own cards and using your own abilities to show how you feel means so much more. Being a journalism student, I wrote my girlfriend a story, which is the real gift.

I’m sure she will enjoy the food, wear the jewelry, and keep the card, but I know that she will truly cherish the story.

Our society has molded us into consumers, indoctrinating us with the idea that if we do not buy a big gift, we aren’t committed.

If you’re lucky enough to have someone in your life worth celebrating, go ahead and do it. Just don’t rely solely on your wallet.

Matthew Keever is a communication junior and may be reached at [email protected].