‘Kiss’ stars big names

Jadakiss has always been the front-runner of Yonkers hip-hop group D-Block, formerly known as Bad Boy Records’ The Lox. While other members Styles P and Sheek Louch have released notable and commendable albums in their own right, they’ve remained especially low-key on the mainstream radar. Jadakiss has been known to cross over and push the boundaries of his own style, not limiting himself to the gritty and typical New York sound.’

With The Last Kiss, his third solo studio album, Jadakiss pulled out all of the stops, enlisting help from the A-list of hip-hop producers and artists, similar to his previous release, Kiss of Death. ‘Pain and Torture’ sets off the album with the New York bravado and intensity Jadakiss has been known for.

A fair share of anthems are heard across The Last Kiss. ‘Stress Ya’ showcases famed producer Pharrell Williams lending his vocal skills and production talents, and ‘Grind Hard’ finds Jadakiss collaborating with longtime friend Mary J Blige.’

These are just a few of the big names on the album. From Young Jeezy on ‘Something Else’ to cameo-king Lil Wayne’s verse on ‘Death Wish,’ The Last Kiss is the East Coast’s answer to The Game’s 2008 release, LAX.’

Several collaborations on The Last Kiss worthy of a mention. ‘Come and Get Me’ and ‘One More Step’ both feature members of D-Block and are a good preview of what’s to come with the group’s upcoming 2009 release, Prepare for Glory.’

‘Cartel Gathering,’ a rap cipher featuring Ghostface Killah and Raekwon, two of Wu-Tang’s finest. However, the album’s obvious standout is ‘Letter to B.I.G.,’ a tribute to his former colleague and friend, in which he brings Chris Wallace’s widow, Faith Evans, on the track.’

An album with 18 songs is bound to have some throwaways. Swizz Beatz usually has a high standard of production, but his beat on ‘Who’s Real’ is completely contrived from the rest of his discography. The hook on this song is embarrassing and lyrics such as ‘If you’re real and you know it, clap your hands,’ read like something from kindergarten, not a hip-hop song. ‘Rockin’ With The Best’ is also derivative of every boast track ever made, while ‘Smoking Gun’ and ‘I Tried’ are quick prompts to press the ‘next’ button.’

The Nas-featured ‘What If’ also falls flat. The song plays like a more historically relevant version of ‘Why?’ from his 2004 album Kiss of Death. Considering this song should have been an album highlight, it’s disappointing it comes up short.’

The Last Kiss is a great collection of songs. Aside from the filler, the album is cohesive and plays very smoothly. For the classic Jadakiss sound, look to The Champ is Here pt. II and Kiss My Ass, two mix tapes that were released prior to The Last Kiss. Many argue his mix tapes come a lot stronger, and it’s hard to disagree with the statement. After all, he’s always wanted to be a rapper for the streets.’