Jumpers land regional marks

The Cougars performed well in the 82nd Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays last weekend, posting four regional marks and nine top 10 finishes.

The Cougars were led by senior captain Ivan Diggs and sophomore Chris Carter, who both set personal bests while adding their names to the UH record books. Carter said he is happy to see his teammate succeed after missing the 2008 season because of injury.

‘(Diggs) is doing good, considering it’s his first real competitive meet back and he’s going to score points at Nationals and most likely win (at the C-USA Championships), so I’d say that’s a pretty good comeback,’ Carter said.

Diggs cleared 2.23 meters (7 feet, 3.8 inches) to win the high jump competition. His jump set an NCAA regional qualifying mark, eclipsing his previous best this season by one centimeter. The clearance is also the fourth-highest clearance in school history, tying him with Jeff Mueller.

Carter also dialed in, moving to the top of the Conference USA standings with a second place finish in the triple jump. His 16.34-meter (53 feet, 7.31 inches) leap set an NCAA regional qualifying mark and a new personal best. Carter’s jump was also the fourth longest in school history.

Carter, a C-USA indoor champion, is having a great season in the eyes of head coach Leroy Burrell.

‘On the men’s side, in the field, we were really satisfied with Diggs and Carter, who performed really well and put themselves in great position as far as Nationals are concerned,’ Burrell said.

Senior Seun Adigun entered the meet leading C-USA in the 100 meter hurdles, but finished in ninth with a time of 14.64 seconds. Her season-best, 13.45 seconds, still sits atop the conference standings.

Adigun had something else to cheer about after she was recognized with the C-USA Spirit of Service Award on Wednesday for her superb determination on the track, in the community and in the classroom. She was one of 12 student athletes to earn the award, which goes to competitors who are involved in numerous community service efforts while excelling in their sport and in the classroom.

In the pole vault, junior Alex Bentley set an NCAA regional mark with a 5.20-meter (17 feet, 0.72 inches) clearance. His performance was only good enough for fifth place, but it also tied his season-best, keeping him atop the C-USA standings.

The Cougars will head to Tempe, Ariz. to participate in the Arizona State University Sun Angel Classic on April 11. Burrell said he hopes his team will prove it can compete with some of the best athletes in the nation.

‘This is a national-caliber meet with a lot of really strong programs,’ Burrell said. ‘To go there and compete well will show what kind of team we are.’