SGA senators continue to maintain top priorities

Student Government Association senators from the College of Pharmacy, The Honors College and the Graduate School of Social Work agendas include increasing the pharmacy college’s visibility on campus, making UH a greener campus and being a voice to those who are not able to speak for themselves.

College of Pharmacy Sen. Debbie Alimi said her priority is to increase the student body’s awareness of the Pharmacy College and its activities, as well as to increase pharmacy student involvement with campus issues.

‘I see myself as a liaison between the student body and the College of Pharmacy,’ Alimi said.

She said pharmacy students are secluded by the location of their college and they would benefit from increased exposure to the campus community. Alimi said she wants to find a way to bring on-campus pharmacy students together with students attending classes at the Texas Medical Center.

She said she has seen improvement in the pharmacy college’s campus involvement through different events that took place earlier this semester, including a booth at the University Center that promoted skin-cancer awareness, and with pharmacy-students volunteering at an anti-stigma event.

The Honors College Sen. Reyes Ramirez said he wants to improve honors students’ knowledge of campus issues, increase scholarship awareness and to propose a greener initiative.

‘I like to think of myself as an unofficial senator at-large,’ Ramirez said. ‘The Honors College has students of many different majors, and students and professors already collaborate among each other. I would like to focus on issues outside of The Honors College.’

Reyes said he is looking forward to holding a town hall meeting to learn about student issues so students can have a venue to voice opinions.

‘SGA needs more involvement from the student body,’ he said. ‘This isn’t high school, where we will be deciding what theme we will have at the dance.’

Graduate School of Social Work Sen. Josephine Tittsworth said she wants to do her part to help students gain the greatest experience possible for their future endeavors.

In her third term as the Graduate School of Social Work senator, Tittsworth said she is proud of the commitment she’s made to stand up for those who are too scared or unable to speak for themselves – particularly students pursuing an environment free of prejudices and discrimination.

She said she will continue her efforts to include the phrase, ‘gender identity and expression,’ into the UH System nondiscrimination statement in live with the resolution passed unanimously at the 45th administrations last meeting.

‘It is the right thing to do. SGA has voted two consecutive ears unanimously in support of inclusion yet the top administration has chosen to ignore the voice of the people.’

Tittsworth said she also wants to improve conditions for disabled students, increase support of Veterans programs and assist the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender’ group (GLBT) in obtaining a GLBT resource center on campus.

She said she will continue her work with college councils and also she would like students to become more involved in student organizations.

‘Involvement in student life while attending college is an enhancement to a student’s experience,’ Tittsworth said. ‘The support to learn in the classroom and through application on campus through student organizations or engagement is the strongest reason for students to get involved.’