UH kicks off Earth week events

The UH Environmental Club is set to celebrate Earth Week from April 20 to April 24.

Environmental Club president Paulina Guerrero said she wants people to get involved with the events and educate themselves on how they can help the environment.

‘I believe in taking action rather than waiting and believing someone else will,’ Guerrero said. ‘Especially if you are passionate about it. The planet is so important, we need to take care of it. It is our home.’

In its second year celebrating Earth Week, the Environmental Club begins the week with Hemp Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 20 in the breezeway of Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall.

‘(Industrial Hemp) is used in over 25,000 different products,’ Environmental Club member Michael Blunk said. ‘It is better than cotton, and anything made out of cotton or soy can be made out of hemp with less money.’

Industrial hemp can be used as paper, textiles, biodegradable plastics, construction, health food and fuel.

The club has planned activities to inform students about hemp. They will also have objects made out of hemp available for students to check out.

UH alumna Pamela Dickson will teach a beginner’s yoga class at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday in front of the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building.’

The yoga session will be free and open to all students who want to attend.

The club said students who plan to attend the yoga class should bring their own mats and wear comfortable clothing.

The club will begin Wednesday with its Eco-Mart bake sale where members will sell handmade crafts, vegan and organic treats.

The club said half of the bake sale’s proceeds will go to organizations that help improve the environment.

Following Eco-Mart, the club will put on an Earth Day Carnival at Butler Plaza outside M.D. Anderson Memorial Library.

Carnival activities will begin with games and Get Active green tabling where students can learn simple ways they can help their community become more environmentally friendly.

University Dinning Service will also be at the carnival talking to students about their steps to go green.

Students can also test drive electric cars and plant vegetables in Dining Services’ produce garden.

The City of Houston is holding a conference 7 p.m. Wednesday at M.D. Anderson Memorial Library’s Rockwell Pavilion.

Those interested should RSVP for the public event at http://[email protected].

At the conference, city officials will talk about how people can save money on their electricity bill and how they can engage in action-oriented dialogue with other citizens to mild a more sustainable future.

There will be an efficiency expert at the conference offering advice on how to design personal energy action plans.

City officials will also discuss the steps it is taking to become a greener community.

Earth Week ends with a pizza party at Ruggles at 903 Westheimer Rd., followed by a trip to Edwards Greenway Palace 24 to see the movie The Planet.

Guerrero said she wants students to know all events are open to the public and are encouraged to be a part of Earth Week at UH.