Patriots select Vollmer

The University of Houston is becoming a regular stop for NFL prospects. Sebastian Vollmer became the fourth UH player taken in the second round of the NFL draft in the last five years when the offensive tackle was selected by the New England Patriots with the 58th overall pick Saturday.

The 6-7, 314-pound Vollmer, who joins wide receiver Donnie Avery (2008), quarterback Kevin Kolb (2007) and cornerback Stanford Routt (2005) as the only Cougars drafted in the last five years, was rated as low as a sixth-round pick by some. The Houston Chronicle reported that Vollmer didn’t even bother to watch the draft and was surprised to receive a phone call from Patriots coach Bill Belichick and owner Robert Kraft.

‘My heart was beating; I was just super excited,’ Vollmer, 24, told the Chronicle. ‘It was just an amazing feeling.’

Vollmer, a native of Duesseldorf, Germany, can play both tackle spots. The three-year letterman started all 13 games last season and ended his UH career with 26 consecutive starts at left tackle.

The Patriots took notice of Vollmer during workouts for the East-West Shrine Game and at UH’s pro day. Vollmer’s versatility impressed them enough to add him to their offensive line, which includes two-time Pro Bowl tackle Matt Light and 2008 Pro Bowlers Dan Koppen and Logan Mankins.

‘He gives us toughness,’ Belichick said in an interview with ESPN’s Chris Berman. ‘He’s a really big man and brings some size and flexibility. We’re really looking forward to watching him compete on the offensive line.’

UH head coach Kevin Sumlin had a notion Vollmer would draw some attention early in the draft.

‘I knew that the interest level was pretty high, even for a guy who wasn’t even invited to the NFL combine,’ Sumlin said. ‘Obviously, he was able to show his stuff at the East-West Shrine Game and at the UH pro day.’

Conference USA had nine players drafted in all.

Southern Miss had two players selected in the fourth round, with tight end Shawn Nelson and linebacker Gerald McRath going to the Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans, respectively. The Titans also took Tulane offensive tackle Troy Kropog in the fourth round.

The Jacksonville Jaguars took Rice dynamic wideout Jarett Dillard in the fifth round, with teammate and tight end James Casey going to the Houston Texans in the same round. East Carolina tight end Davon Drew and Southern Methodist punter Thomas Morstead went in the fifth round to the Baltimore Ravens and New Orleans Saints, respectively. Memphis defensive tackle Clinton McDonald was a compensatory selection of the Cincinnati Bengals in the seventh round.