Student leader moves forward

Kristin Lindley has a lot on her plate, but that hasn’t stopped her from becoming the first UH-Victoria student appointed to the UH System Board of Regents.

Gov. Rick Perry appointed the former student Senate leader of UHV to the student regent position June 1.

Lindley, also the Association of Independent Institutions Softball Player of the Year, has embraced the role.

‘I’m really honored to be able to represent so many students and because so many levels of administration think I can do this job well,’ Lindley said.

Lidnley was optimistic about her chances because of the downward expansion for UHV and her key role in the process to help turn the campus into a four-year university.

‘The student regent’s responsibility is to represent all students in the system no matter where they’re from,’ Lindley said. ‘I was in on the action and able to interact with some of the board members prior to receiving this position.’

As student regent to the UH System, which consists of 59,000 students, Lindley understands the responsibilities ahead of her.

‘It’s my responsibility to understand what the student government from each of the campuses are representing, and trying to achieve for their individual campuses during the next year. My job is basically to act as a liaison from the students to the board and (vice versa),’ Lindley said.

Lindley graduated magna cum laude from UHV with a bachelor’s in business administration. Her hard work and determination, combined with a desire to be in a student leadership position and a work ethic influenced by watching her parents run their own business, steered her to take the position.

‘I thought it was amazing that I was on the Senate … but I thought it would be an outstanding experience to be on the board and make wonderful things happen for the system as a whole,’ Lindley said.

Lindley said she will continue to keep her priorities straight.

‘I had to tell them I’m a student first, and then I’m going to have to split my time between being an athlete and being the president,’ Lindley said. ‘People are counting on me and looking toward me; I don’t have time to kid around.’