ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: SGA names representatives for boards

Student empowerment was the theme of Wednesday’s SGA meeting, as 13 students were unanimously appointed to represent Student Government Association on various University committees.

Plans for a punitive code to replace the executive truancy bill, a survey to improve PeopleSoft and a volunteer security service were also presented.

Director of Finance Carlos Reyes, graduate Sen. Manikantesh Bonatham, Honors Sen. Reyes Ramirez and At-Large undergraduate Sen. Sean Tarver are just four of the 13 students who will signify the students’ voice on committees.

Executives stressed the importance of student input on these boards. They said although administrators are working hard to improve the University, the administration cannot accurately gauge student experience. Without student participation, their decisions will not reflect students’ needs.

‘It is important that (students) have a voice at every place on campus and every decision that is made,’ Vice President Prince Wilson said. ‘This is why it is crucial that these people are the best.’

Wilson, who interviewed and nominated the appointees, said that after reviewing many applications, he found that those selected are the right people for the job.

‘They are committed enough and they know what they are doing,’ Wilson said. ‘I got the assurance that they are confident and are ready to speak up for students.’

Wilson will require the appointees to give him monthly reports. They are also not permitted to miss more than three meetings for their respective committees.

Committees that student representatives will serve on include University Commission on Women, Undergraduate Admission Committee, Bookstore Advisory Committee, University Hearing Board and Safety and Security Advisory Board.

Students will also be a part of the International Students Advisory Board, Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee, Art Acquisition Committee, Sexual Harassment Board, Student Traffic Court and Student Publications Committee.

Voting for the executive truancy bill, which would require executives to miss no more than eight SGA meetings during their terms, was scheduled for Wednesday. Instead, Speaker Alexander Obregon announced that the bill would be scrapped concluding that the bill was not appropriate. After speaking with former SGA presidents, Obregon decided to create another plan.

‘Instead of isolating one particular branch of the student government, we are going to create an ethics and punitive code, which will establish what is expected from senators and executive branch members,’ Obregon said.

Tarver announced Wednesday that he is working on gathering students’ opinions on PeopleSoft. Tarver said he wants to conduct surveys that assess PeopleSoft’s performance. These surveys would go to those in charge of the software to ensure that it improves on handling students’ needs.

Tarver also revealed that he and Kinfield are developing a program to improve campus security. UH SafeWalk, a supplement to Coog Patrol, would be a voluntary service for students.

‘Coog Patrol is not at the capacity that we wanted, and I have no idea why,’ Tarver said. ‘I am sure they are doing their job well. I just don’t think there is enough to make sure everyone is safe.’

Members of UH SafeWalk would escort students who are studying at the Library during peek hours (7 p.m.-11 p.m.) to their vehicles. Tarver said this program might be more appealing than Coog Patrol – which offers paid positions – because the demands of the unpaid position are minimal.

‘There is not a required time to serve certain hours. We are working around student schedules,’ Tarver said. ‘If you have time for two hours a week and you are already at the library studying, why not partner up with someone and make sure someone gets to their car safe.’

SGA will hold its next meeting at 7:30 p.m. July 22 at the Mediterranean Room inside the University Center Underground.

Ashleigh Scinta, Karl Mearne, Sheryl Lynn Kovach, Kelly Waterman, Micah Kenfield, Ali Chahrour, Alan Steinberg, Tushar Chawla, and Kim Ngo will also serve on University committees.