Ending saves dark comedy

World’s Greatest Dad is difficult to watch, but still satisfies the viewer once the credits finally roll.

Comedic actor Bobcat Goldthwait (Police Academy) wrote aand directed this summer flick. Despite his inexperience with directing, Goldthwait creates an apt dark comedy that, while lacking in laughs and feel-good vibes, delivers a positive message and humorous moments along the way.

World’s Greatest Dad follows the story of Lance Clayton (Robin Williams), a lonely poetry teacher and unsuccessful writer who fails to connect with his mean-spirited son, Kyle (Daryl Sabara).

Lance meanders through life, struggling with unreceptive students and a son who won’t give him a break.

Sabara portrays one of the most unlikeable characters, as Kyle insults everyone, acts vulgar and rude and hates everything except strange pornography.

The first portion of the film is marred by Kyle’s vulgarity and Lance’s pitiful life, evoking more sadness than humor.

The second half of the film takes a dramatic turn, when a tragedy occurs that places fame, fortune and friendship within Lance’s grasp. By exploiting his son, Lance can to achieve his dreams.

This second half plays out more lightly than the first, but with an increasingly dark undertone beneath the humor.

The flim becomes a cynical satire of inspiration and fame. Throughout its duration it teeters on the edge of overwhelming cynicism, saved only by a complex and carefully crafted depiction of Lance’s motivations. Ultimately, a happy and unconventional ending redeems the story.

The film boasts a great soundtrack that sets the tone of each piece of the story. ‘Under Pressure’ by Queen and David Bowie plays during the bizarre slow-motion ending, in which Lance removes his clothes and dives into the school’s swimming pool.

Goldthwait also impresses with appropriate directing and a few standout scenes.

Williams displays his broad thespian range, as he is completely believable in both dramatic and comedic scenes. The audience can relate to him, despite his mistakes.

World’s Greatest Dad is an unconventional rollercoaster of tragedy, comedy and drama.

The film’s saving grace is the thought-provoking ending that neatly completes the story and delivers a positive message.

This film is a great start for Goldthwait as a director and a bold addition to Williams’ career. Moviegoers can catch funnier and darker movies before the end of this summer, but World’s Greatest Dad is in a league of its own.