SGA Senate approves UC plan

The Student Government Association senate voted Wednesday in favor of the UC 2010 Initiative.

The vote cleared another hurdle for the planned renovations to the University Center. UH students approved the measure last November with a 77 percent vote in favor of the initiative, which will controversially raise students’ fees.

Social Work Sen. Josephine Tittsworth’s vote was the only one against the initiative.

‘I really want the renovations, but I have to step back and think about the family’s response,’ Tittsworth said.

Tittsworth, who had previously voted in favor of the initiative, said that because of the economy, students and their families should not be subjected to an increase in fees.

Proponents of the amendment countered that there was a cap in place for the fee increases, which is limited to $25 per semester starting Fall 2010. These raises would end in Fall 2014 at $160 per semester up from the current $35.

During the meeting, two new senators were appointed ‘- Keith Richards as the Graduate At Large 2 senator, and John Flint as the Natural Science and Mathematics senator.

SGA President Kenneth Fomunung during his report talked about the trip he and his cabinet took last week to Washington, D.C. to meet at the American Student Government Association conference.

He said that apathy in student government appears to be a challenge other schools also face, and he encouraged senators to spend time each day talking to students.

Fomunung also said that he was looking into the fall commencement ticketing issue. He said there should be a viable overflow option should there be more students and guests than the venue can hold.

Stephen Barth, professor at the Conrad Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, petitioned in favor of a campus-wide smoking ban.’

Barth said no student should be forced to breathe in cigarette smoke.

‘I’m a big believer in quality of life,’ Barth said, adding that should the SGA adopt such legislation he would champion it in the Faculty Senate.

Business Sen. Luis Rodriguez wondered about the practicality of a campus-wide ban.

Rodriguez said he would prefer stronger enforcement of current rules, particularly at the C.T. Bauer College of Business.