SOCCER: Tie with UAB earns point for UH

The Cougars finished the first half of their season-long four-match homestand with a positive result.

After losing the first match 2-0 to Memphis on Friday, UH (3-8-2, 1-3-2) gained a point by fighting for a 1-1 tie with UAB in extra time Sunday.

Before the match went to extra time, the Cougars found themselves in a familiar position ‘- trailing early. The Blazers’ (9-4-1, 3-2-1) only goal came after countering a UH attack, which Danya Barsalona finished at the top of the 18th minute off an assist by Carolyn Polcari.

UH started the second half of the game optimistically after having controlled most of the possession and opportunities in the first half.’ The score, however, remained the same until the 70th minute, when UH took a corner kick.’

The ball came out on the far side of the penalty area and was finished by Katelyn Rhodes for her second goal of the season.’ She was assisted by Stephanie Derieg.

Head coach Susan Bush commented that after the dismal rainy conditions on Friday, UH played its best game of the season against the Blazers.

‘The first game the conditions were terrible; it wasn’t a true soccer game,’ Bush said. ‘Sunday, I think it was the best game of our season. Last year we lost this game 4-0, so it was a good result.’ (Memphis and UAB) were the best teams in our conference.’

Although UH was only able to rustle up one point for the weekend, Bush’s team is still in the running to make it to the postseason. She said the Cougars can advance if they round out the campaign with victories instead of ties.

‘We have five games left so we need to start getting three points instead of one,’ Bush said. ‘At least were getting points, so there’s hope.’

Despite earning a tie against a strong UAB team, Sunday was not entirely positive for UH, as another senior suffered an injury.

After getting hurt during a play, Nikki Echeverria was stabilized and left the field in an ambulance. Bush could not provide information on her condition.’

The Cougars host Southern Miss. at 7 p.m. Friday at Robertson Stadium and UCF at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Carl Lewis Soccer Complex.