Homecoming court diverse, full of pride

The 2009 UH Homecoming Court was announced Monday, and students will learn which nominees were named king and queen during halftime of Saturday’s football game vs. SMU.

The nominees for Homecoming Court are Jerrod Allen, Wayne Bailey, Lucas Evers, Kristin Foteh, Kaine Hampton, Amanda Hunt, Jordan Lewis, Franceska McCaughan, Diego Rojas, and Nicole Sopko.

‘I wanted to represent my fraternity,’ marketing senior Bailey, who was nominated by the Delta Gamma sorority, said. ‘I wasn’t actually expecting a nomination, but I was called one day and accepted the nomination.’

Evers, a senior nominated by the Delta Upsilon International fraternity, said it was an honor to receive the nomination.

‘I love the honor,’ Evers said. ‘It has been a great time and I’m glad to have been nominated for the Homecoming Court.’

Foteh, a public relations senior nominated by the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, said she accepted the nomination because being involved with the court is a way to exemplify school spirit.

‘Being involved with the Homecoming Court is a great way to show my UH pride,’ Foteh said. ‘The nomination took my pride to a whole new level.’

Hampton, a finance seniornominated by the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, said he accepted his nomination to promote campus unity.

‘I like the diversity at UH, and I would like to support the unity of the campus,’ Hampton said.

Rojas, a mechanical engineering senior, was nominated by the Triangle fraternity, and said he feels blessed to be part of the court.

‘I got involved with the Homecoming Court thanks to the great marketing effort by the Homecoming Committee at UH,’ Rojas said. ‘I hope to show my peers that one can maintain a credible scholastic record, participate in student organizations, work part (or) full-time and enjoy their Alma Mater all at the same time.’

Hotel and restaurant management senior Sopko was nominated by the University Center and Associated Facilities, and said the experience of being in the court is something she would cherish forever.

‘I believe that my involvement with these and other organizations led to my nomination,’ Sopko said. ‘This experience will be one I will never forget. I hope to see everyone showing (their pride) this Saturday at the Homecoming game to see UH move up in the BCS rankings!’

Cougar pride and sprit will continue around the campus with events available to students, including the annual Homecoming parade Saturday, beginning at 3 p.m. at the intersection of Cullen and Wheeler. Kickoff for the football game is scheduled for 6:34 p.m. at Robertson Stadium.