LIVING GREEN: Green activites take campus, city by storm

Green UH Day was one of the first of many campus and community environmental activities happening in November.

Green UH Day was an event that provided students an opportunity to learn about environmentally related activities and programs on campus.

Professors Peter Bishop and Barry Lefer discussed sustainability issues with students at the Sustainability Journey Series. Students asked questions about climate change and the Earth’s cooling cycle. Lefer discussed the impact of humans on the Earth’s temperature.

‘Right now the natural cycle is for cooling,’ Lefer said. ‘Over the last 100 years the Earth has warmed up.’

The professors talked about how these and other patterns can impact society and the future.’ They said’ the rising cost of energy may influence driving patterns and how and where we live.

‘Cities will get smaller (and) more efficient,’ Bishop said.

One dumpster dive revealed two recycling habits on campus. First, students may not know what can and cannot be recycled. Participants learned that plastic and Styrofoam containers with numbers one to seven in the ‘recycle triangle’ on the bottom are recyclable.

Second, students accidentally recycle paper with cans and bottles. The activity reminded students that they could dispose of paper in indoor recycling containers such as the ones at the University Center and UC Satellite.

Other campus and community environmentally friendly activities held this month range from shopping to sports.

– Scientists, leaders, innovators and more will discuss sustainable solutions at the Texas Bioneers Conference from 10 a.m. ‘- 4 p.m. Nov. 14 at Discovery Green. The event is organized in partnerships with the City of Houston and other local organizations. Admission is free and open to the public.

– Cool Globes is an exhibit that features environmentally friendly public art in Discovery Green Park through Jan. 2, 2010. The exhibit features ’50 super-sized Cool Globes that each convey a different message about what ordinary citizens can do to combat global warming,’ according to the Discovery Green Web site. Admission is free and open to the public.

– Join other Texans in recycling on Nov. 5, also known as’ Texas Recycling Day. Participate by dropping off paper, glass, plastic and aluminum at Discovery Green’s Recycling Saturdays from 10 a.m. ‘- 2 p.m. Find recycling events across Texas at the State of Texas Alliance for Recycling Web site: www.texasrecyclesday.org

– Shop for organic foods and locally made products at the Environmental Club’s Eco-Mart’ from 11 a.m. ‘- 4 p.m. Nov. 17’ at the Hoffman Hall Breezeway. ‘Many people try vegan food and can’t taste the difference,’ one Environmental Club member said.

– Support, oppose or listen and learn about a suggested green fee that all students may be required to pay to help offset the costs of greening the UH campus at a forum Nov. 18. The event is supported in part by UH and other community groups. Check back with www.uh.edu/af/greenUH/ for details.

– Learn more about growing food locally at the ‘Edible Plants in the Urban Garden’ program from 7 to’ 8:45 p.m.’ Nov. 18 at Oberholtzer Hall, Room 108. The program is a part of the Food for Thought Series.

– The ‘Art of Recycling’ display and judging will be held from 8 a.m.’ to 5 p.m. Nov. 19 at the UC Arbor. Artwork must follow guidelines, which include making art from recycled bottles and cans. Entries are due by 5 p.m. Nov. 18. See www.uh.edu/af/greenUH/ for details.

– Recycle at the Tailgate Recycling station at the Go Coogs! Go Green! Football Game on Nov. 21. This green sports event will feature the Art of Recycling Program contest winners and various green initiatives, according to the official UH Athletics Web site.

– Shop for Thanksgiving organic vegetables and farm products at the weekly Discovery Green Downtown Green Market. The market takes place’ from noon ‘- 4 p.m. every Sunday at Discovery Green Park.