Student receives MassMutual scholarship

Accounting senior Naushad Qasim, received a $5,000 multicultural college scholarship from Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company on Oct. 23.

‘It feels great to have the scholarship because it’s my first achievement,’ Qasim said. ‘I’m very happy, and my parents are happy too.’

MassMutual Financial Group offers scholarships to minority students who have outstanding academic backgrounds.

‘ Students must be of African-American, Asian/Pacific Islander or Hispanic descent and at least a sophomore majoring in accounting, business, economics, finance, marketing, math or statistics with a minimum 3.0 grade-point average in a U.S.-accredited university. Applicants also must reside in Houston, Atlanta, Los Angeles or San Francisco and be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, according to the Hispanic Scholarship Fund Web site.

Assistant Vice President of MassMutual Community Responsibility Nick Fyntrilakis, who administers the program, said the Hispanic Scholarship Fund accepts applications, processes them and handles the awarded scholarships.

‘MassMutual’s priority is education, and we are also working to build better and straighten relationships and multicultural communities,’ Fyntrilakis said. ‘This program provides the opportunities to elaborate our top priorities of education as well as engaging in multicultural communities.’

Qasim applied for the scholarship in March thanks to his professor, Director of Professional Programs in Accounting Michael R. Newman.’

‘Since my parents weren’t able to come to the scholarship award ceremony, I invited Dr. Newman, and he (is) just like my father,’ Qasim said. ‘I really appreciate his help and I’m really thankful to him for writing the recommendation letter for me and then coming to the award ceremony and (making) me feel that I’m just like his own child.’

Newman said Qasim won the award because of his outstanding academic achievements and his commitment to helping others.

‘He is a fine young man who I’m honored to know and teach. He epitomizes all that is bright about our future,’ Newman said.’

‘I’m glad to see MassMutual taking such an interest in our students and more specifically, giving a fine young man and outstanding individual the means to continue his education.’

MassMutual gives business-related students the opportunity to achieve their goals by offering a total of $60,000 in scholarships – $5,000 to each winner.

‘We awarded students this past year and we are looking to grand up the program going forward to additional markets and additional agencies,’ Fyntrilakis said.

Newman said students should take harder courses and spend time studying. A great GPA combined with a worthwhile degree will open doors and give students many options.’

‘It’s my hope that every student at UH chooses a career that gives them joy and satisfaction,’ Newman said. ‘There is no doubt in my mind that Naushad is following this advice, and I’m proud of him.’

UH-Downtown accounting junior Daniel de la Rosa was also a recipient of a scholarship. He was not available for comment before press time.