Sigma Chi holding annual fight night tonight

The Sigma Chi fraternity is hosting its annual Fight Night at 6:45 p.m. today at Rich’s Nightclub.

The event is a fundraiser held in conjunction with other Sigma Chi chapters across the country with all profits going to Children’s Miracle Network.

‘We have been doing this event for over 30 years and always make every effort to donate as much as possible to CMN,’ Sigma Chi Vice President and Friday Night Chair Richard Burgess said.

Community service is a major part of Sigma Chi membership.

‘Sigma Chi nationally has three organizations that (it donates) to: Children’s Miracle Network, The Huntsman Cancer Institute and Boys & Girls Club (of America). In this region, CMN is the predominant one. Fight Night at this University is the way that we go about our duty,’ Burgess said.

Fight Night involves amateur boxers from the UH Greek community.

‘We try to promote a positive, competitive environment that brings together all the Greeks for one common purpose, which is to give back to the community,’ Burgess said. ‘Even though the event involves fighting, we make every effort (to ensure) that it is in an organized manner.’

This year’s Greek participants include brothers from Phi Gamma Delta, Kappa Sigma, Delta Upsilon and Sigma Chi.

‘Although not all fraternities have fighters (in the contest), members from all the (Interfraternity Council) fraternities will be at the event and supporting the cause through ticket purchases,’ Burgess said.