Viewers asked to rethink Afghan war

The Social Education Program Area of the College of Education’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction held a screening of a new documentary, Rethink Afghanistan, as part of the Rethink film series Thursday.

“The series is intended to show recent films dealing with social issues,” UH professor Cameron White said. “The idea is to allow for critical discussion of controversial themes. We hope to have speakers following each film and to have discussions on related themes.”

According to the Social Education Web site, one of the primary goals of social education is to help instructors and others in the community “develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good.”

The event will be held in the KIVA room on the first floor of Farish Hall.

The film was chosen because of its timeliness considering the U.S. involvement in Afghanistan.

Some topics in the documentary include background briefings on the country’s history, economy, the role of women in the country, the cost of war, civilian casualties and U.S. involvement.

“The film encourages research, discussion and debate regarding global issues, particularly an issue that impacts us daily,” White said.

Associate professor of history Robert Buzzanco led the discussion on rethinking American policy in Afghanistan after the film ended.

“(It is important for students to see, because) people are dying and we’re spending hundreds of billions of dollars in Afghanistan while we lack health care and good education here at home,” Buzzanco said.

Buzzanco said President Barack Obama’s plan to send another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan is another important reason students need to watch this film and be critically aware of the issue.

“Get out.  Don’t send more troops.  Get out,” Buzzanco said.