Staff Editorial

Show support for quake victims in Haiti and donate

Students have a lot on their minds as they return to classes today.

Some will stress over trying to enroll in classes that were previously closed to them. Others will think about the long lines that wait at the campus bookstore. Even more will deal with the frustrations of trying to find parking that’s not terribly far from their classes.

But even with all the things students have to think about, we ask that they not forget about the people suffering in Haiti in the aftermath of last week’s vicious magnitude-7.0 earthquake.

The earthquake resulted in the deaths of tens of thousands or more and left survivors without food, water and access to health care. Thousands of other people are missing, with frantic relatives and friends left to only wait and hope for news of them being found.

Humanitarian aid from countries the world over pours in daily, but more will be needed as supplies run out. The U. S. has launched a tremendous military and civilian relief effort, with President Barack Obama pledging an initial $100 million in aid, but problems continue to mount as violence starts to rear its ugly head among impatient survivors.

Every little bit helps. Students can contribute to the relief efforts in several ways, whether it’s donating money to the Red Cross and other reputable charities, giving blood, volunteering at organizations involved in relief efforts or contributing clothes and non-perishable food items.

Some UH organizations have joined in the relief efforts. The Brothers of Phi Beta Sigma are hosting a volunteer event to raise money and food from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the University Center’s North Patio. The Black Student Union will set up drop boxes around campus for the collection of basic necessities such as food, clothes and blankets. These boxes will remain around campus from today through Feb. 4.

Donate your time, energy, resources or whatever else you can to the Haitian relief effort. But also donate your thoughts, prayers and support.

That makes a difference, too.