Events

City goes Green with laughter

In an interview, Tom Green talks about his world stand-up tour that has come to Houston and his Web site, tomgreen.com. | Photo credit: Neil Visel

The quirky comedian Tom Green is in Houston Thursday through Saturday, at a point in his new tour where he considers himself to be hitting his stride.

“Houston is at a great point in the show. It’s happening when I’m getting comfortable up on the stage,” he said in a phone interview. “And still, there is a lot of crazy stuff that can happen.”

The “original prankster,” who has been on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine and guest hosted The Late Show with David Letterman,is hitting the stage with the Tom Green World Standup Comedy Tour. The two-hour show is at the Improv, 7620 Katy Freeway, starting at 8 p.m. tonight with additional shows at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

This show promises to be an entertaining night of story telling, singing and audience participation. Typically, members of the audience yell out favorite scenes from his movie “Freddy Got Fingered,” and Green acts them out on stage.

Green is not at all offended by his movie Freddy Got Fingered being up for a Razzie as the worst picture of the decade.

“I hope it wins. That film has got a cult following to it and has to be financially successful with its DVD release,” Green said.

When not touring, he is now living in Los Angeles and has converted his home into a television studio for his Web site tomgreen.com.For $5.95 a month, members gain access to all of the videos on the Web site.

During his comedy tour, his web show will feature guest hosts and have call-ins from Green and other videos from the tour. Even without a membership, there is still a great deal of video clips available on the Web site for free.

For fans of Green, this is the place to go. With so much content, there is a personal level to the Web site that lets those who visit really know who Green is.

“To really know what we’re trying to accomplish, you just have to go to the Web site and just click on the tabs,” he said. “It is a relaxed environment. I shoot in my living room, with my dogs running around. Most of the time, most of the people who are there are friends.”

The main living room has been turned into a studio with multiple cameras and switchboards, and a guest room that has been turned into an editing bay.

“The internet is great for the viewers.  On mainstream TV, a lot of the choices are made for you,” Green said. “TV has gotten worse when it comes to getting a pure idea out there. It (his internet show) offers a lot more raw product than what is offered on TV.When I was a kid, we had 13 channels. I would have loved to be able to see everything that’s out there today. We’re so used to it now, but three or four years ago … it was different.”

In addition to his tour, Green recently made a recording with Sean Paul and T-Pain. He also has appeared on VH1’s “For The Love of Ray J.”