Activities & Organizations

Resumes receive help from experts

Members of Houston Think Tank, a UH student organization, take advantage of the Bauer Resume ER event to enhance their resumes in preparation for spring recruiting. The event took place Wednesday and Thursday. | David Shih/The Daily Cougar

Rockwell Career Center counselors and employers from different companies offered the business students from C.T. Bauer College of Business an “Emergency Help for your Resume” event.

The event was held in the AIM Center for Investment Management lobby on Feb. 3 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“The idea behind the event is to trick students into getting their resumes reviewed, so the event has been themed as if this is an emergency room so you can get the students’ attention,” Employee Services of the Rockwell Career Center Director Brett Hobby said.

“We have definitely increased the number of tables. We have more staff to help, more employers, and the event has grown as a whole.”

Hobby, who has hosted the event since 2006, said that the Resume ER is not like meeting with the career counselors but its purpose is to get the proper recommendations to prepare the students for career fair. The AIM center lobby was decorated with red and white balloons, all the tables had stethoscopes and the employers and career counselors were wearing scrubs.

“Our goal is to give C.T. Bauer students access to employers, alumnus and other crew staff people to have their resumes checked in 10 to 15 minutes,” career counseling director Donna Grady said.  “The big event that is open to all the students is the career fair. Students need to know you should have a resume if you are looking for an internship or a job.”

Grady said the Resume ER event has helped many students succeed in future interviews.

“Resumes are the first impression that students have with employers so that is what we are trying to do at this event,” career counselor II Oliver Blanco said.

Students such as supply chain management senior Rodrigo DaSilva from Brazil took advantage of the career event.

“The employer told me that I need to get my resume in good shape, that I should have a cover letter and make it shorter,” DaSilva said. “I am really excited and positive that I will find a job at the career fair after being helped today.”