Staff Editorial

Vegas to Obama: Stop picking on us, you bully

President Obama is well known as a prolific speaker; even when he’s not using a teleprompter, the president is known for having a way with words. That is, at least, until his recent comments about people spending their money in Las Vegas.

Last February, Obama said that bailed-out bank executives shouldn’t be spending taxpayers’ money in casinos, citing Vegas as an example. Though Obama probably only used the Silver State as an example because of its prominence — When you think of gambling in America, don’t you think of Vegas too? — his second “slip of the tongue” has caused an uproar.

“When times are tough, you tighten your belts,” Obama said, according to a White House transcript of his appearance Tuesday at a high school in Nashua, N.H. “You don’t go buying a boat when you can barely pay your mortgage. You don’t blow a bunch of cash on Vegas when you’re trying to save for college. You prioritize. You make tough choices.”

And even Democrats are upset. Or perhaps they’re just trying to get votes.

Democratic Congresswoman Shelley Berkley said in a statement “enough is enough! President Obama needs to stop picking on Las Vegas, and he needs to let Americans decide for themselves how and where to spend their hard-earned vacation dollars.”

Really? Sure, even Las Vegas is suffering in the current economic climate, but Obama was merely making an example, an apt one at that. These high school students aren’t going to Vegas any time soon. And, if their parents are, Obama’s two minor jabs (if you can even call them that) at the city probably aren’t going to effect their decision.

Those foolish enough to gamble away their college tuition probably won’t read or hear about this anyway. And those with the money to go to Vegas probably will still go.

Dear Mr. President, please stop being a good example for children and giving them good advice. We, the American public and politicians, would really appreciate it if you just twiddled your thumbs for the next three years. Thanks.