thedailycougar.com relaunches on independent platform

After two and a half years of publishing online through the MTV-owned College Media Network, The Daily Cougar today relaunched its Web site on an independent platform, giving the 75-year-old newspaper full control over its online operations.

The transition process is still underway. Some site features might not be fully functional yet but will come online in coming weeks. Some content from the old site will not be transferable, such as user registrations and comments.

For more updates, check out the Web development blog at dev.thedailycougar.com.

• Howdy Daily Cougar,

I like the new look of the website, and that you are in control of the platform now.

I do have a concern however, I work with the blog for the campus organization Students for a Democratic Society (http://sdshouston.wordpress.com) and we have linked to at least dozen articles that y’all wrote about work we did or were involved in, and all those links are broken, most of the stories dont seem to exist anymore.

Are y’all planning to bring these articles back online though the new site, or at least make them available in an archive? We would love to be able to link to them.

thanks!
    RoB for UH SDS

• Yes we are planning on restoring all of our archives, all the way back to 1991. The permalinks might change so you might need to track them down. The new archiving system will store them by date (year, month, day) so they should be easier to find. The search function should also be more useful once all the archives are loaded.