State

Medina hopes to shake up primary

Republican gubernatorial candidate Debra Medina said, if elected, she would work on restoring the state’s sovereignty and work on ensuring that gun rights are protected. | Courtesy of North Texas Daily

Former businesswoman Debra Medina is a hopeful candidate in Tuesday’s Republican primary election for Texas governor.

According to her campaign’s Web site, Medina wants to eliminate property tax, protect gun ownership, restore Texas’ sovereignty and reaffirm the border security.

“Her main goal is to restore freedom, liberty and limited government in Texas,” Gwendolyn Walton, a member of Medina’s campaign press, said. “Texans are resilient, and when the government leaves them alone, Texans can and will prosper.”

Medina wrote on her Web site that she will fight against laws that interfere with Texan’s lives.

“By asserting her constitutional sovereignty, Texas can protect her citizens and provide them the opportunity to succeed,” she wrote.

On her Web site, Medina said the role of the government is to uphold justice and not make decisions “that are better made at the local level.”

“A limited government operating in its proper role allows citizens to reach their full potential, thus allowing our state to reach its full potential,” Medina wrote. “Our government should be protecting life, liberty, property and individual sovereignty. Our government should not be confiscating property (or) constraining liberties,” Medina wrote.

Walton said Medina would work to eliminate property taxes.

“As governor, she will work to abolish property taxes and institute a more fair broad ‘consumption’ or sales tax,” Walton said. “By repealing property taxes, homeowners will never have to worry about being ‘taxed’ out of their homes. While many college-aged students may not already own homes, they would likely see a decrease in rent payments.”

Medina enters the race up against two other prominent Republican candidates: Gov. Rick Perry, who is running for re-election, and U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison.

“What began as a doubtable campaign (to many) became a tortoise and the hare catch-up,” political science analyst Marco Garvey said.

When Medina entered the race, her approval ratings were below 10 percent. After charging her platform and campaign on numerous televised interviews and debates, Medina claimed Tea Party support and increased her numbers dramatically.

Fox News reported Feb. 17 that Medina’s campaign had received an infusion of about $50,000 in donations.

“The most recent poll, released by Public Policy Polling, showed Medina tracing with 24 percent, Hutchison with 28 percent and Perry with 39 percent,” Walton said.

According to the UH Office of Institutional Research, out of the approximately 36,000 enrolled students, 88.9 percent of the student population who are Texas residents are eligible to vote in Tuesday’s primaries, and Medina’s campaign is hoping to take advantage of this.

“College students will be directly affected by this election, as many of them will enter the workforce and buy homes in the next four years,” Walton said. “We cannot continue to see our only job growth in the government sector, as has been the case this past year. We must encourage growth in the private sector, and we can’t do that with invasive government interference.”

Walton said Medina plans to encourage the free market system “by decreasing government interference in private sector affairs (and) push the rid of the margins tax, which will make it easier to start a new business.”

On her Web site, Medina wrote that, if elected, she would work on protecting Texans’ gun ownership rights.

Medina wrote that one of the freedoms the Founding Fathers worked to insure was that of gun rights so that the people could defend themselves against “an abusive government.”

“Protecting freedom requires that the people be well armed,” Medina wrote. “Government cannot protect us from violence; we must defend ourselves.”

Another issue Medina said she would tackle as governor is to secure the Texas border.

“Failure to enforce state and federal laws has contributed to abuse of property and humanity all along the Texas border,” Medina said in a Jan. 12 press conference with U.S. Border Watch. “We can no longer turn a blind eye on the situation and will, in order to protect our citizens and their property, take matters into our own hands to insure peace and protection along the Texas border.”

According to a Jan. 12 release outlining Medina’s border security plan, Medina wants to have the Texas National Guard and Texas State Guard support local law enforcement along the Texas border. She also wants sufficient resources to prosecute violators of child labor laws and for Texas district attorneys and Texas attorney general to have the power to prosecute them.

Medina also said she wanted to eliminate “social incentives to illegal immigration by seeking legislation prohibiting (the) use of state funds for service or benefit of illegal aliens.”

• I’ve followed Mrs. medina’s campaign for some time now, heard her speak and am overwhelmed with her integrity and desire to help Texas begin to move in the direction of limited government while restoring our Sovereign status so as not to be ruled by Washington elites. She can win this with your help! Consider the alternatives and please cast your vote for her and a return to Constitutional government. If you have questions about specific issues, her excellent website is http://www.medinafortexas.com

• Medina speaks from the heart with little use of notes. She believes in what she says and voters sense this. The enormous Republican turnout this year (evidenced by the early voting participation) is unlikely to result from excitement over four more years of Gov. Perry or four years of Senator Hutchison as governor. It’s more likely that these un-surveyed and unreckoned participants were drawn by a new voice and new ideas, those of Debra Medina. Won’t the oh-so-smug pundits be shocked when she wins!

• Medina is our only hope of stopping the overbearing, ever-encroaching, unconstitutional acts of the federal government. We are becoming slaves. Time to shake things up. My vote goes to Medina.

• What a great article, Mr. Baerga! This is true journalism, folks. I have a better understanding of Medina’s platform, where she stands on the issues, and I know I am making the right choice by voting for her. Thank you for being one of the few to actually report the facts and give an honest write-up about this great candidate.

• Rick has not scuttled TXDoT contracts and plans to lease already-tax-moneys-payed -for roadbeds around major cities in Texas. I suspect his bagged debts were supposed to be hidden by the double taxation under the secretly-negotiated and partially confidential contracts with the international conglomerate which will extract a profit from you and me, on top of the actual costs of running the road system. That ain’t your Daddy’s type of toll road… It’s going to sap our economy for the next 50 years…your entire careers…and severely limit your freedom of movement. Check it out at texasturf.org.

Kay Bailey said she would protect property rights while telling us it wasn’t so with the “no I won’t” telegraphed simultaneously by her body language.

Ronald Reagan’s words remain true, and poignant: “In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem!”

Debra Medina is the answer!

• Just a thought. I don’t lend lots of credence to Truth Dig, but I do like asking questions. I don’t think Medina is rich or out and out a bad person, but being raised in Texas I was taught to practice what I preach. Click the link.
    http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/behind_the_tea_party_facade_just_another_bush-league_republican_20100224/

Also, I don’t think that taking an anti-immigration stance is going to help her with the Latino vote. The reality in Texas, like it or not, is that the Latino population is a mainstay in this state and the future of politics and policy. She will hold water now, but this kind of rhetoric won’t pass 10 years from now.

• Any political figure who talks about nullification with any seriousness shouldn’t be taken seriously at all. I understand the desire for less government, but let’s be realistic about policy goals.

Also, I’d say that eliminating property taxes, and instead instituting a consumption-tax (sales tax), would do more harm that good for students. If you have a tax that is based upon consumption, and consumption falls, then government revenues fall just as drastically as consumption. This could lead to large state budget cuts during recessions, and would likely mean our University would receive budget cuts, causing the U of H to either raise tuition and fees or cut essential services. A situation such as this would cause more people to rely on government help, through the use of grants and subsidized loans, in order to complete their college education. An act that is counter to Medina’s arguments.

Also, I have to wonder if “Our government should be protecting life, liberty, property and individual sovereignty. Our government should not be confiscating property (or) constraining liberties…” applies to gay marriage.

• haha yes because what texas needs the most is LESS tax revenue.

you know, the seven states that have no state income tax also lack quality public services, like education and public transportation. there’s a connection there but, for the life of me, i just can’t think of it