TV

Texans make Idol gossip

Thousands of American Idol hopefuls have clamored through the heat, cold and psychological torture that is Simon Cowell to get to this spot — the top 24.

Being handpicked from a group of media-hyped judges is not a great way to mess with someone’s nerves. Although the wait was condemning to some, the top 24 were picked Jan. 15 and 17.

The “chosen ones” are now ready to unleash their talent into the scrutiny and humiliating judgment of Americans. Luckily, Texas gets to raise its pride-hungry glass early this year, as five of the top 24 contestants are representing the Lone Star State.

Not much has been heard from Houston contestant Paige Miles, who is originally from Naples, Fla., but Miles believes she is ready to break out as a top 24 finalist.

Miles said she decided to audition for the popular television show after her aunt died. By putting Houston in her rearview mirror, she was determined to set herself apart from the rest with her energy and hometown charm.

“I have tons and tons of energy. A lot of that has to do with being a cheerleader. My personality is very bubbly, and I’m smiling a lot most of the time,” Miles said on the American Idol Web site. “The passion and the drive I have for my music makes me who I am. I have lots of energy, but I am also a homebody.”

North Richland Hills’ Alex Lambert has also been given a golden ticket alongside the controversial Tim Urban, who is from Duncanville.

Urban beat out Chris Golightly, who was promised a spot in the top 24 before he was deemed ineligible. USA Today reported that Golightly was withdrawn from the show because of a misunderstanding with a previous contract.

A former manager told 19 Entertainment, the company that manages American Idol contestants, that Golightly was still under contract with his studio. Once American Idol got wind of the information, Urban was put in Golightly’s place, despite his shaky auditions.

Golightly claims the contract was terminated a month before he auditioned for the show, but producers were ready to move on.

Fort Worth native Casey James has left fans enamored with his Southern drawl and blues sex appeal. Or, at least, maybe after he has his Idol makeover.

James, who is one of few idols who have actually mastered guitar, failed to amaze Simon Cowell with his rendition of John Mayer’s “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.” But after taking his shirt off on the request of judges Posh Spice and Kara DioGuardi, he advanced to Hollywood.

In his second audition for the top 24, James showed judges why he was picked — he truly is a blues musician. He also amazed fans with the tragic tale of his life-changing experience in 2001, when a car accident left him incapable of playing the guitar. Since then, he has defied logic.

Lacey Brown, who hails from Amarillo, was one of the top 54 contestants in Season 8 who were cut from the top 36 round.

Back in full force, Brown amazed judges with her rendition of “Somewhere over the Rainbow,” boasting a beautiful and soulful voice. Her performance was so magical that it even brought a smile to Cowell.

Arlington’s Todrick Hall said he is going to prepare for the next shows with a vocal director. Hall, however, might not need that vocal director with his prerequisites.

He has appeared in High School Musical 2 and was part of the Beauty and the Beast production at Walt Disney World.

During his audition, DioGuardi asked Hall if he had performed with Fantasia, an American Idol alumna, in the Broadway performance The Color Purple; to which Hall replied, “yes.”