Softball

Cougars thrash helpless Panthers

It wasn’t raining Tuesday, but the Cougars relentlessly poured down a deluge of hits in their doubleheader against Prairie View A&M.

UH dumped the Panthers in the first game with a 10-0 decision before ending the evening with a dominant 20-0 win at Cougar Softball Stadium. Both games were called after 4 ½ innings because of the run rule.

The Cougars (20-19) snapped a five-game losing streak. In four meetings against Prairie View (1-27), they have yet to allow a run.

“Anytime you play a game like this you are suppose to work on some things and play better and feel better,” head coach Kyla Holas said. “They did that today.”

UH pitcher Baillie Lott delivered a solid performance in the first game. She fanned seven batters while allowing only one hit.

The Cougars used rallies in the second and fourth innings to score eight runs.

After the Cougars produced three consecutive hits in the second inning of the first game, Tiffany Galletti drove in Ashleigh Jones with a single for the game’s first score. Katy Beth Sherman followed with a single to left center to drive in two more.

Melissa Gregson singled to send Sherman across the plate before the inning was retired.

In the third inning, the Cougars pushed the lead to 6-0 until Gregson produced again by bringing home Kristin Lusby to get another run. Shortstop Brooke Lathan followed hit a two-run bomb over the centerfield fence to make it 9-0, and Lott added a solo shot to cap the scoring.

The second game was a reflection of the first. Junior pitcher Amanda Crabtree took the mound, striking out 12 batters and allowing one hit late in the game.

A collection of 13 runs off of nine hits in the first inning would give the Cougars a commanding early lead. First baseman Jennifer Klinkert issued her own dose of power in the first — a two-run homer and a solo shot.

Another two-run bomb by Brooke Lathan kept the offense consistent. Although the Cougars did not need it, they added on a run in the second and produced six runs off of six hits in the third to make the score 20-0.

The Cougars will next face Conference USA rival Memphis in a three-game series this weekend at Cougar Softball Stadium. UH is in seventh place in C-USA with a 5-7 mark.

“This weekend is huge for us,” Holas said. “It’s really a big point in the season for us.”