Activities & Organizations

On-campus club offers dance lessons to students

The UH Social Dance Club gives both students and non-students an opportunity to get to meet new people, learn a variety of different dances and participate in competitions every semester.

Their next competition will be held April 17 and 18 at the University of Texas in Austin.

The club offers its members a chance to learn from professional dance instructors who teach both basic and advanced techniques of ballroom dances such as tango, salsa and the waltz.

The meetings are held on Sundays at the University Center Underground Cougar Den from 5-8 p.m. The fees are $40 a semester or $100 a year for UH students and $60 a semester or $150 for a year for non-UH students. It is not necessary to have previous dance experience or a partner in order to join the club.

“There aren’t many places you can go and get all of those dances for such a good price,” club president Ashley Hurst said.

Hurst said the best part about being in the club is that she gets a workout by doing something that she enjoys, and it’s an opportunity to learn something new while meeting new people.

“It’s really rare to be able to offer something like that. The professional teachers and the variety of classes are what makes it very special,” Hurst said.