Track & Field

UH rests big guns in Arizona

Erica Hannermann was one of the UH runners who took a break from action in the Sun Angel Track Classic over the weekend in Tempe, Ariz. | Daily Cougar file photo

Although some of the Cougars’ biggest weapons were not used this weekend, they still made strides at the 31st Annual Sun Angel Track Classic held in Tempe, Ariz.

Head coach Leroy Burrell and his staff used the weekend meet as an opportunity to rest some of the team’s top athletes. Most notably missing in action were sprinters Grecia Bolton and Errol Nolan along with the jumping trio of Chris Carter, Jonothan Williams and Lamar Delaney.

Although Burrell and the athletes always prefer a top-three finish, several Cougars made notable accomplishments by placing high in events packed with dozens of athletes.

Ciera Johnson continued her solid outdoor season placing first in the 800-meter dash with a 2-minute, 10.73-second finish, 0.7 seconds behind her split from last weekend‘s race. Teammate Clarissa Payton finished 11th in 2:13.59 seconds earning herself a personal record.

Tara Prier placed fifth out of 33 in the 400-meter dash crossing the finish line in 55.66 seconds. Brittany Wallace finished five places behind her in 56.27 seconds.

Quin’shundolyn McPherson placed 12 out of a field of 60 in the 200-meter dash with a 24.75-second split. For the men’s team, Joseph Irabor finished in a personal-best 21.80 seconds, earning him 10th place out of 48 athletes.

In the 110-meter hurdles, Cameron LaCour finished in 14.56 seconds. Out of the 37 athletes competing, LaCour placed 12th. LaCour, the Conference-USA 60-meter hurdle champion, has hovered around the 14-second mark all season, but Burrell and his coaching staff are confident he will improve his times throughout the season.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay of Brittany Wallace, Ciara Willis, Quin’shundolyn McPherson and Ciera Johson came in fifth in 3.42.40. The men’s 4×400-meter relay team was disqualified.

The women’s 4×100-meter finished in 44.77 seconds, coming in at third place. The men’s team did not field a 4×100-meter relay.

Christie Jones finished seventh in the 100-meter dash, clocking in at 11.87 seconds.

In field events, Tai’Shea Reese placed fifth in the long jump with a leap of 19 feet, 11 inches.

Selleck Keene finished eighth in the high jump clearing the bar at 6 feet, 7 inches, a personal-best.

Brittani Williams placed fourth in the javelin throw of 151 feet, 7 inches, the fourth-best throw in school history. In the men’s shot, put Mike Sanchez placed fourth with a 53-foot, 4 ½-inch throw, a personal-best.

Thomas Lang finished sixth in the triple jump with a leap of 49 feet, 3 ¾ inches.

The Cougars will pack their bags for Baton Rouge, La. when they compete at the LSU Alumni Gold Invitational on Friday and Saturday.