Softball

Cougars head to Tulsa in search of happy trails

The Cougars will swing for the fences when they travel to Tulsa, Okla., for a three-game set against the Golden Hurricane. UH is looking for its first road win of the season. | Kendra Beglund/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars are traveling to Tulsa, Okla., this weekend for a three-game Conference USA series against the Tulsa Golden Hurricane.

This weekend’s series will kick off with a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Donna J. Hardesty Sports Complex. The final game of this weekend’s series will start at noon on Sunday.

Coached under John Bargfeldt, the Golden Hurricane posted a 40-17 record last season.  This year Tulsa (22-17, 6-3 C-USA) sits sixth in league standings, but is coming off a loss to No. 9 Oklahoma State on Wednesday.  The Cougars have won nine out of their last 13 battles with Tulsa.

“Tulsa is at the top of the conference (in talent),” said UH head coach Kyla Holas. “I think they have real solid pitching and probably the best offensive player in the conference.”

Tulsa’s Lauren Lindsay, whom Holas referenced, comes in batting .444 with 17 homers and 44 RBIs.  On Monday, she was awarded the Co-C-USA Hitter of the Week.

The Cougars are coming off of a five-game homestand, in which UH (23-19, 8-7) outscored its opponents 46-4. Designated hitter Reina Gaber joined Lindsay as Co-C-USA Hitter of the Week and freshman righthander Bailey Watts was recognized as the C-USA Pitcher of the Week.

With a 0-11 road record, the Cougars are looking to prove they can succeed away from home.

“So far, we have not traveled well,” Holas said, “so we are going to have to deal with why we do not travel well and we are going to have to deal with what TU is going to bring.”

The Cougars have had a week to prepare for this weekend’s road trip.  During practice, they concentrated on defense and pitching drills, but the main focus was hitting.

“We need to work on some of those offensive situations,” Holas said.  “So that we are executing all the time, not just a few people.”