From the Editor

Serving two masters

Being a college student is way more important to me than being editor in chief of The Daily Cougar.

But more often than not, the opposite seems to be the case.

I still consider school to be my No. 1 priority, but The Daily Cougar easily commands the bulk of my time and energy. I usually work at least five days at the office per week, with some of the shifts lasting anywhere from 10-12 hours. I work late into the night on at least four of those days.

As you can imagine, this usually doesn’t leave much time for schoolwork. I usually have to settle for catching up on assignments upon returning to my room late at night. Thus, I don’t hit the sack until 4 or 5 a.m. on most nights, if ever.

Naturally, my grades tend to suffer a bit. A lot of my assignments are completed at the very last minute, so the work isn’t always as good as it can be. I study when I can, meaning that I don’t give myself enough time to prepare for examinations. I’m often not able to finish reading the required materials for class.

Did I mention that I don’t get much sleep?

Serving two masters is a difficult task. I think I’ve handled it as best as could be expected for the spring semester, but there have been a lot of close calls. I’ve been fortunate to receive extensions on some major assignments. Turning the work in late eliminates any chances of making an A on the assignment as points are subtracted for tardiness, but it beats having no grade at all.

Anyone who takes this position should understand that doing so will ultimately take some bite out of their academic career.

You can fight it off for as long as you’d like, but it’s inevitable.

Take Care and God Bless!!!