Academics & Research

UH to offer higher-level courses at Northwest

The UH System will offer classes in a newly built Northwest campus beginning this summer, an alternative that administrators hope will better serve UH students and residents living in a rapidly growing Houston area.

Through a leasing contract with Lone Star College, the Northwest campus will offer undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and graduate programs from both UH and UH-Downtown campuses. Classes in communications, consumer science and psychology, among others, are currently scheduled for the summer and fall semesters.

Director of University Outreach Lonnie Howard said the summer and fall schedules are still being “developed and expanded” alongside administrators of the Texas A&M System, Texas State System and Texas Southern University.

The curriculum was designed to avoid duplicate classes with an eye towards higher-level programs for students transferring from local community colleges.

“Our current plans are to offer high-demand courses that will allow students to complete the upper division of undergraduate degree programs, the full master’s degree programs and certifications,” Howard said.

While still offering face-to-face classes, Howard said that through a combination of hybrid, online and weekend classes, the Northwest campus hopes to develop more programs that don’t require students to travel to campus.

Located adjacent to Lone Star College’s University Park, the Northwest campus will include 15 classrooms, along with enrollment services for academic advising, recruiting and IT support dedicated solely to UH students.

Howard said the Northwest campus wasn’t developed to solely benefit UH students in terms of traffic or parking, although he anticipates some students will use the Northwest campus as a substitute.

“The opening of the Northwest campus is really not about added value to the UH main campus,” Howard said. “What is really important to understand is that this venture is about added value to the residents and UH students who live in the northwest region.”

UH will offer an open house at the Northwest campus for interested students in June, and as construction on the site continues, students who enroll for the summer may attend in the adjacent Lone Star College classrooms.

Howard said opening the Northwest campus is a tremendous opportunity to serve the 1.5 million people living in northwest Houston and encouraged students to visit uh.edu/northwest for classroom locations and course schedules.

“(Opening the Northwest campus) is about staying true to our institutional mission,” Howard said. “Our faculty and staff are very excited about augmenting UH’s footprint, increasing educational access and helping the income and employability of future students.”

• I am really interested in doing the master’s in computer science at Northwest campus. So, when the Northwest campus is going to start the Master’s in computer science?