Movies

‘The Losers’ come out as winners in must-see movie

The Losers is a hard hitting, non-stop, witty and hilarious thrill ride with an all-star cast that consists of intense action scenes, smart humor and a sense of wanting more by the time it ends.

Based off of a comic book series by Robert Kanigher, the story follows a CIA black ops team that is betrayed and subjected to a failed assassination plot. This leads the team onto a continuous rollercoaster ride of revenge to reach the top of the people who were behind the scheme.

Each character has his or her own special caliber of a personality that, when added with bizarre action violence, can lead to feelings of unpredictability for what’s in store next. This makes the movie extremely enjoyable and fun as the story unfolds. If Guy Ritchie made a comic book adaption action flick that was a blend of The A-Team, Smokin’ Aces and The Usual Suspects with a James Bond theme, you’d get a movie a lot like The Losers.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Watchmen, The Accidental Husband) stars as Clay, the aging leader of the pack who still has a tough-as-nails, honorable and dedicated charisma that keeps the other parts of the team in check. Zoe Saldana (Avatar, Star Trek) stars as Aisha, the sexy and treacherous spark plug chick who is not to be trusted.

Chris Evans (Not Another Teen Movie, Cellular) provides most of the comedic relief in between tense moments and thrills as Jensen, a geeky, woman-chasing charmer. The rest of the team includes Idris Elba (Obsessed), Columbus Short (Armored) and Oscar Jaenada (Che: Part Two), who all include their own dynamic archetypical character.

Jason Patric (The Lost Boys, Narc) practically steals the show as Max, the maniacal and extremely comedic villain bent on changing the map with a dangerous weapon.

Director Sylvain White adds to one of the strangest aspects of the movie. The last film he directed was Stomp the Yard. A director like Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) seems like a more obvious choice for the film.

But it is a good thing that producers went with White because he does lovers of comic book-based movies proud. This is an impressive movie for White, who is in the early stages of his career.

All perfectly fitting acting and directing elements aside, The Losers entertains from start to finish with never a dull moment. Slow motion scenes, a clever storyline and adrenaline rushes make this one a must-see.